Spring Lambs

Hi p1/2,
I thought I would come on and share photos of some of the lambs that have been born on my Dad’s farm. He reckons that there have been about 800 born so far. Because it is a hill farm, all the lambs are born outside – thank goodness for the sun this year!
Jim, the sheepdog, has been working hard each day and is very tired – he keeps falling asleep on the quad bike and my Dad has to wake him up to do his work…it is very funny!

Most of the sheep have 1 or 2 lambs but this sheep below had triplets! Dad had to bring her into the shed from the field to give the lambs some extra milk because their mum didn’t have enough to feed all 3 of them.

Sometimes, when the sheep are so kind and are really close to having their lamb, they try and take another sheeps lamb. When my Dad went into the field, the lamb below had 2 mums! My dad had to work out who the real Mum was and put her in the pen for a few hours with her lamb so they could form a bond.

This wee lamb below is only a few minutes old. The sheep is licking her lamb up and bleating to it the whole time. The Mum and her lamb recognise each other from their smell and the sound of their bleat. After a few minutes the lamb will get up and have a drink of milk. The sheep is having twins so it won’t be long until she has another one.

The 2 lambs in the photo below weren’t able to find their Mums milk so were looking a bit hungry. My Dad caught the sheep with his crook (and help from Jim the Sheepdog) and helped them get a drink of milk. He had to turn the sheep over onto her back. When he went back out to the field later that day, the lambs had managed to get the milk on their own.