12.05.20 Home Learning ๐Ÿ“š

Good morning everyone!

I hope that you all had a nice longย  weekend and managed to spend some time outside in the sunshine. โ˜€

I have signed everyone up to an exciting website called ‘EPIC BOOKS’ and they have many amazing books free to read online. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

It is really important that you all keep reading regularly – even reading a little bit everyday will be enough. ๐Ÿ“š

Why not read to a brother or sister, to an adult at home or even read to your teddy! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

To read and discover more about these Epic Books all you have to do is visit the link and follow the instructions below:

https://www.getepic.com/

Login > Students > Enter Class Code pmj9348 > Click on your avatar > Search

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

If you search or scroll through for a book that you like, click on the front cover to open it. Then click on the screen to read the first page. If there are too many tricky words it’s not the best book for you. If there are just a few tricky words then this is a perfect book for you.

Here are todayโ€™s lessons:

Tuesday 12th May

Literacy: Spelling โœย 

Use your spelling method to help you learn your words:

LOOK: at a small group of words and their letter patterns.

SAY: the words quietly, thinking about the letter patterns.

COVER: the key word list.

WRITE: the group of words you have practised

CHECK: how many you have spelt correctly. If you need to, have another go.

Warm up

• I can read, write and spellย โ€˜erโ€™ words.

Task – Focus – Record your date, title and I can in your jotter. Write out your words from the key word box using look, say, cover, write, check with a finger space between each word.

A) Look at the pictures. Write the rhyming key words in your jotter. The first one is done to help you. 1. Power – flower.

B) Write five other er key words neatly in your jotter.

C) Write a sentence that includes two of the key words in it.

Main Activity

• I can use my rule of adding er to make new words
  • I can make new compound words

Task:ย Extra โ€“ A. Use ‘ever’ to make new words. B. Use ‘every’ to make new compound words. C. Write one sentence using two of the words you have made.

Extension โ€“ Add er, ed or ing to the words: 1. sit, 2. win, 3. flip, 4. swim, 5. spin, 6. trap, 7. tank, 8. stop, 9. smack, 10. speak, 11. bang, 12. walk. When you have a single vowel before the last letter you must double the last letter before adding on er, ed or ing.

1. sit – sitting

Read and check over your work. ๐Ÿ”

Finisher: READING – Read a book of your choice on Epic Books. There are so many exciting books to choose from! ๐Ÿ“š

Login > Students >Enter Class Code pmj9348 > Click on your avatar

If you search for a book that you like, Click on the front cover to open it. Then click on the screen to read the first page. If there are too many tricky words it’s not the best book for you. If there are just a few tricky words then this is a perfect book for you. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

PLEASE COMMENT if you have any questions or difficulties. ๐Ÿ˜€

https://www.getepic.com/

Maths: Place Value

Warm up

• I can count on and back mentally

Task โ€“ Play Hit the Button. Number Bonds: Make 10/Make 20/Make 100

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

Main Activity

• I can count on and back accurately.
  • I can make links between addition and subtraction.

Q1. (a) to (d) Copy and complete the addition and subtraction facts. Remember if you know one fact you know another.

Q2. (a) to (d) Use the addition fact and write two subtraction stories.

Challenge: Use the addition fact: 423 + 246 = 669 and write two three digit subtraction stories in your jotter.

Check over your answers and traffic-light your work. ๐Ÿšฆ

Fun Finisher

Sumdog Activity – This week is a short 4 day week so your challenge this week is to Play against the teacherย every day on Sumdog between 2pm and 3pm. I will log on and meet you there at 2pm and let’s see if you can beat me! โญ

Reminder

It is normal to feel overwhelmed by everything during Lockdown. If you feel like everything is getting too much, remember Mrs McMillanโ€™s โ€˜Take a Momentโ€™ YouTube channel has: Belly Breathing, a Special Place Meditation and High 5 Breathing to help you.

Breathe and relax.

Have a lovely day everyone! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Mrs Maher ๐ŸŽ

One thought on “12.05.20 Home Learning ๐Ÿ“š”

1. Hi, hope you had a nice long weekend!
    We had a look at the Epic site, looks really good! Nathan enjoyed reading a book this afternoon. I downloaded the app to get access to the books. I don’t know if that makes a difference. Using the link on the blog took us so far, but tapping on the avatar, it just went back to the home page of the site. Anyhow, Nathan used it and enjoyed it.