20.04.20 P4 Home Learning ✏️

Good morning everyone, 

I hope you all had a lovely Easter with your family, enjoyed lots of chocolate and managed to stay safe. I had a relaxing holiday enjoying the lovely sunshine and going walks each day. ☀

Here is a quick reminder of our home learning plan. Miss Donaldson P5, Mrs Macleod P4/5 and I have collaborated to plan and organise a series of progressive lessons suitable for the age and stage of our learners. If you look at the blog for your child’s class and it is too difficult, go to the class below for support and keep going if necessary until they find the learning that suits them. Likewise, if it is too easy, please go to the class above for challenge. If you would like to complete more, then pupils can try another class’s blog.

Weekly Literacy lessons cover:

Spelling > Handwriting > Comprehension > Grammar/ Punctuation > Writing focus/ Free writing.

Numeracy and Maths lessons will cover:

Place Value > Addition > Subtraction > Multiplication > Challenge Problem Solving or Other.

Children should try to complete:

• learning tasks on the blog in their jotter (Maths and Literacy) or a page of their activity book
  • Sumdog maths and literacy for 10 minutes each day

Here are today’s lessons…

Monday 20th April

Literacy: Spelling

Use your spelling method to help you learn your words:

LOOK: at a small group of words and their letter patterns.

SAY: the words quietly, thinking about the letter patterns.

COVER: the key word list.

WRITE: the group of words you have practised

CHECK: how many you have spelt correctly. If you need to, have another go.

Warm up

• I can read, write and spell words with ‘wh.’

Task: Focus – Record your date, title and I can in your jotter. Write out your ‘wh’ words four times from the key word box below and check you have ordered your letters in words accurately. 

Copy these questions. Choose the ‘wh’ word to fill in the gaps from the word bank. Start each sentence with a capital letter and make sure your question mark is neatly on the line.

Main Activity

• I can Identify words within wh words
  • I can match up compound words and include in sentences

TaskExtra – Record your title and I can in your jotter. A. How many smaller words can you find within these ‘wh’ words?

1. Wheel

2. White

3. Wheat

4. When

Here is an example:

where = he, her, here.

B. Write four questions that you would like to ask your teacher. Begin each sentence with a ‘wh’ word from your key word list and include your question mark at the end. Read and check over your sentences.

Extension
– Record your title and I can in your jotter. A. Make as many compound words (one word that is made up of two smaller words) as you can using these words. The first one is done to help you. (no – where = nowhere) Write three sentences using one word from each group you have made.

Finisher
: Can you research and find 10 other compound words where two smaller words make up one new word? 👍🏼 

Maths: Place Value

Warm up

• I can count on and back in sets of 50’s

Task: Record your title, I can and 1-14 in your jotter. Complete Mental Maths – counting on or back in 50’s in your jotter. You can use the number line above to help you. Please layout like this.

1. 150, 200, 250.

Main Activity

• I can match figures to words and words to figures for 3-digit numbers.

Task: Q1-6 – Read the words in each rocket and then write each number in figures. (Numbers) For e.g.

1. 561

Q 7-12 – Read each star and write each number in words. For e.g.

7. Three hundred and sixtyfive

Remember to write the word ‘and’ after your hundreds and include a dash – between your tens and units.

To help you with the spellings you can use the word bank below:

[one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.

eleven , twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty.

thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety.  hundred]

Check over your answers and traffic-light your work. 🚦 

Game: Play 10 minutes of Place Value Basketball – Numbers up to 999. Count on your blue blocks of 100’s first, then green blocks of 10’s and then red cubes of 1’s. Click on the correct answer on the basketball to shoot into the hoop. 🏀

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/place-value-basketball

Sumdog Activity: Take part in at least 10 minutes of Literacy and Maths games today.

REMINDER

PE with Joe Wicks is live every morning from 9am. Tune in and take part with the family and keep your body fit and active. 🏃🏼‍♂️

Glasgow Science Centre are also showing daily home activities and videos related to Science everyday from their Youtube channel.  Watch or join in today…

THE MARS ROVER – THE ROSALIND FRANKLIN 🧪 🧬

Monday 20 April. Learn about the European Space Agency’s rover, The Rosalind Franklin that is due to be sent to the planet, Mars in 2022. Use your new knowledge of what makes a good rover to build your own model and share it with us on social media. You’ll need some things from around the house like cardboard, paper, empty plastic trays, sellotape, glue, scissors and crayons, pens, pencils or paint. Make sure you’ve got permission and supervision from an adult.

For all other Learning activity websites such as Go Noodle etc. please see the main page for all links.

Have a good day and stay safe!

Mrs Maher 😁📚✏🍎 

4 thoughts on “20.04.20 P4 Home Learning ✏️”

1. Morning, hope you had a lovely break!
    Can I just check I’m not missing something in the maths? Is the second worksheet with the rockets on the blog?