30.03.20 P4 Home Learning ✏️ & Sumdog Challenge πŸ†

Good morning everyone,

I hope you all had a lovely relaxing weekend and kept yourselves safe indoors. Isn’t it lovely to wake up and see the sun shining brightly. πŸ˜ƒΒ 

As a reminder this week please try toΒ complete:

• learning tasks on the blog in the jotter provided daily
  • at least 10 minutes of Sumdog Literacy and Maths everyday
  • an activity from the grids in the pack or do a page of the booklet.

Monday 30th March

Literacy: Spelling

Use your spelling method to help you learn your words:

LOOK: at a small group of words and their letter patterns.

SAY: the words quietly, thinking about the letter patterns.

COVER: the key word list.

WRITE: the group of words you have practised

CHECK: how many you have spelt correctly. If you need to, have another go.

Use this to write out your β€˜old’ words in your jotter from the spelling focus box below: old, cold, fold, gold, hold, sold, told, scold.

Warm up

• I can read, write and spell words with β€˜old.’

Task: Focus – Record your date, title and I can in your jotter. A 1-4. Look at the pictures as clues. Write the old word that matches in your book. B. Copy four more old key words neatly into your jotter from the key word list. C. Write a sentence that uses at least two of the words. For e.g. One day I met an old man named Henry who sold me a toy at the market. Can you give me another? πŸ€”Β 

Main Activity

• I can use my spelling rule accurately to add β€˜er’ to my words.
  • I can use the alphabet to order letters accurately.

Task:Β Extra – Record your title and I can in your jotter. 1. Add er to the end of each word in the box. Write the words you have made in your jotter. 2. Write a sentence for each of the er words. (You can make this more interesting by using a connective to extend your sentence – and, but, so because, as well as, while etc.) 3. Put as many of the words as possible into a funny, nonsense sentence. 😁

Extension – Record your title and I can in your jotter. Alphabet 1-4. Copy the letters and fill in the gaps. Sort the letters 1-8. Sort the letters so that they come in the correct order of the alphabet. The first one is done to help you. πŸ” 

Finisher: Alphabetical Order game – Order the words in the word plant using your knowledge of alphabetical order. (Wait & Skip advertising)

https://www.roythezebra.com/reading-games/alphabetical-order-1.html

Maths: Place Value

Warm up

• I can partition (split up) numbers to 1000.

Task: Record your title, I can and 1-6 in your jotter. Complete each number sequence in your jotter by counting on and back. Check over! πŸ”Β 

Main Activity

Task A. Record your title Arrow Card Partitioning within 1000. Write 1-10 in your jotter and split up the Hundreds, Tens and Units that you see. Number 1 has been done for you. 1. 852 = 800 + 50 + 2. Remember not to include the units when they show hundreds and tens only (290 = 200 + 90) and no tens when you only have hundreds and units (905 = 900 + 5). ✏

Task B.Β Write 1-24 in your jotter and record the value of the underlined digit. Here are a few to remind you of your layout.

1. 663 = 600

2. 48 = 8

3. 285 = 200

4. 922 =20

You are writing only the value of the underlined digit as your answer. Check over your answers and traffic light! 🚦

SUMDOG CHALLENGE πŸ†Β β­Β πŸ€“

Calling all Primary 4’s… πŸ“’πŸ“’πŸ“’

Mrs Macleod messaged me to say that P4/5 would like to challenge us to a SumDog competition! I have accepted because we are amazing mathematicians and problem-solvers… we WILL beat them easily! πŸ™ŒπŸΌ

I have setup a competition for our classes starting today, Monday at 9am until this Friday at 3pm. It is based on your Place Value skills. As you work to improve your accuracy, keep your eye on the leaderboard! πŸ˜‰Β 

Let’s show them how marvellous we are at maths!Β πŸ†

Today on Glasgow Science Centre at Home:πŸ§ͺ🧬

DESIGN A PLANET🌎

Monday 30 March. Get some paper, pens (crayons or paint) and your imaginations ready! Combine it with some science know-how and joinΒ our Planetarium team (Natalie and Veronica)Β to design a planet of your very own!

Remember to try and get an hour of daily exercise outside in this beautiful weather. I hope you have a lovely day! β˜€

Mrs Maher πŸ˜πŸ“šβœ