Welcome to St. Patrick's Primary School, Kilsyth

Hello to all our families.  I hope you are all well and have been able to enjoy some of the lovely Spring sunshine we’ve had over the last few weeks.  For me it has made lockdown easier, if I can take a walk in good weather!

As we reach the May bank holiday weekend, I know that many of you have been managing to access some home schooling; through GLOW, Study Ladder, Sumdog, Linguascope, or our paper learning copies and jotters available in the school foyer, which require no access to ICT.  I’ve spoken to a few mums and dads about their home schooling experiences, and met some of the children while out and about in the town,  and can I say you’re all doing a great job.  Thank you also to our teaching staff who have mastered a whole new way of offering learning; I know it’s been a steep learning curve for us all, but we’re gaining new skills all the time and the wide variety of learning provided has something for everyone.  Again, for our families, don’t worry if you can’t get a lot done, just try to do what suits your family circumstances.

Everyone has been asking the question, “When will our schools open again?” and yesterday the First Minister announced the route map to move towards easing of lockdown and gradual opening up of schools, businesses and services.  The full document is available on the Scottish Government website.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making-scotlands-route-map-through-out-crisis/pages/4/

For us, this means that, right now, school remains open only for children of key workers,  but that  it is hoped school staff  can return to working in school soon, to prepare for the new term in August. If you are a key worker and need childcare, please contact the school on 01236 632122 to arrange this. Please also contact school and leave me a message if you need a call back.

The Scottish Government has noted that  steps forward will be “careful, gradual and incremental”  and also note, “We are planning to make support available to pupils at key transition points, e.g. those due to start P1 or S1 where possible.”

I will keep you informed of any changes which will affect our school and families as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, my very best wishes,

Mrs Jean Rae

Head Teacher

April 19, 2020
by Ms Rae
0 comments

Happy Easter

Welcome back everyone – I hope you and all your families are safe and well and that you have had a relaxing break together this Easter.  It feels very strange not returning to school as normal, but all of your teachers are preparing for online learning with you, and will be posting for you daily Monday to Friday each week on GLOW TEAMS in your class tab.

Parents and carers, when you are looking at online learning and home schooling,  please do what you are able to do and what suits your family circumstances.  Don’t worry about completing everything  on the learning links on GLOW if you aren’t able to.  What you can do at home is fine, and the wellbeing of you and your children is the most important thing right now.  Keep looking at the school app for updates and Twitter @stpatskilsyth, and of course the blog here.

If you need to contact me please email me directly on RaeJ@st-patricks-kilsyth.n-lanark.sch.uk

At the school we can help and signpost a number of services which may be helpful to you and remember that the school is still open for the children of key workers who have no other childcare.

This challenging time will pass.  Meanwhile we want to support our children and families as much as we can in every way we can.

We miss you and are praying for the day when we can be back at school learning together.

Take care everyone.

Mrs Rae

April 1, 2020
by Ms Rae
0 comments

Learning at home

Good morning everyone.  St Patrick’s teachers are all busy at home preparing learning tasks for their classes and many of you are busy at home learning with your families.  On Microsoft TEAMS in each class children are sharing their work with us, in pictures, and in comments to tell us what they are doing and learning.

It’s really important to keep up reading, writing and numeracy every day, but don’t forget to make learning fun! We’ve had baking ( measuring, counting, life skills), painting ( line, form, texture, colour mixing), lego creations of places from a story ( finding and using information), outdoor measure, containers and counting in the garden (numeracy,  volume, conversion from cms to ms) .. the list goes on.  Our families are finding creative and fun ways  to keep children learning and entertained at the same time. And remember to log your reading for pleasure and write a short review in your First Minister’s Reading Challenge booklet if you have one.  If not, create your own review pages.  We’ll share and display them all when school resumes.

Mr Higney has prepared individual log in details for every child.  While school was open, many parents and carers requested or collected their child’s details, but we still have some with us.  You’ll need your child’s passwords for GLOW, Sumdog, Study Ladder and Linguascope.  If you still don’t have them, email Mr Higney on  HigneyM@st-patricks-kilsyth.n-lanark.sch.uk  and he’ll email you back.

A special message for our Primary 7 pupils now.  We had a lot of plans we couldn’t take forward because of school closing for a time, but as I said to those who were with us on the last day, that doesn’t mean your time at St Patrick’s is over. We don’t know how long it will be till we can come back to school but we WILL be back and you ARE St Patrick’s children until you go to St Maurice’s in August.  So we’ll get together, at a future date to be decided,  to have a celebration of your years at St Patrick’s, to wear our hoodies and have a proper leaving ceremony, whenever that is.  You’re still our children Primary 7! Our whole school community will come together to remember that.

Watch our blog for more information soon.

Mrs Rae