All North Lanarkshire schools must have a dress code which encourages pupils to dress in a way which is appropriate to attendance at school. This dress code must not lead to direct or indirect discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, gender or disability.
Clothing which is unacceptable in school under any circumstances includes items which:
- could potentially courage factions (e.g. football colours)
- could cause offence (e.g. anti-religious symbolism or political slogans)
- could cause health and safety difficulties such as loose fitting clothing, dangling earrings, and other potentially dangerous jewellery.
- are of flammable materials which may be a danger in certain classes (e.g shell suits)
- could cause damage to flooring
- carry advertising in particular for alcohol or tobacco, and
- could be usd to inflict injury to other pupils or to be used by others to do so.