Primary 1a. 01/06/20

Good morning boys and girls, I hope you are all well.  I hope you have all been enjoying the beautiful, sunny weather and are ready for some work and activities today.

See the source image

As usual, we will begin our day with our morning prayer.

God Our Father, as we prepare to begin our work, we ask you to help us to use properly the many gifts that you have given us, so that we may fully benefit from our day together at school.  St Barbara Pray for us.🙏

The Feast of Pentecost – 31 May 2020

“They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak”

“When Pentecost day came round, they had all met in one room, when suddenly they heard what sounded like a powerful wind from heaven, the noise of which filled the entire house in which they were sitting; and something appeared to them that seemed like tongues of fire; these separated and came to rest on the head of each of them. They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak foreign languages as the Spirit gave them the gift of speech.”

The Feast of Pentecost brings to an end the Season of Easter and falls 50 days after Easter Sunday.  Pentecost celebrates the coming of the Holy Spirit.  As we heard in the first reading of how the disciples were all together and how they were afraid now that Jesus had left them.  On this day they were given the gift of speaking many different languages so that they could travel far and wide to spread the good news.

We learn that God is always here for us, we just need to ask him for help if we are afraid, worried or feeling lonely.  He will answer our prayer and help us.  Especially in these times when we are feeling sad about not seeing our friends and families like we use to.  God will be by our sides to guide us through to better times.

Above you will see an image of Pentecost.  There are important symbols that are associated with Pentecost – we can read about them in the extract above from the Acts of the Apostles.   We also saw Father Campbell in his red vestments when watching Mass yesterday.

For today’s task I would like you to design your own Pentecost poster incorporating some of the important symbols of Pentecost.  This poster will remind us that the Holy Spirit is with us in everything we do. Please email your poster to (Gw14connollymary) or upload it onto Twitter with an adult’s permission.

Mrs McLeod has asked me to remind you all that she has set a new scholastic reading book for you today.  So just log in, find your book and have fun reading it.

We have another new phoneme to learn this week boys and girls, it is the phoneme ‘OO’

‘OO’ is quite an easy phoneme to learn and a very useful one too!  Here are some ‘OO’ words for you to learn.

look

book

pool

food

hook

First of all I want you to write these ‘OO’ words out 3 times.

Now I would like you to make rainbow ‘OO’ words.

Finally, I would like you to make a sentence with each word, remembering a capital letter, full stop and finger spaces.

Now try the worksheet below.

See the source image

Health and Well-being

Over the weekend hopefully we were all able to go visit a member of our family!  This has been something we have taken for granted all of our lives (as we probably did this every weekend or more).  From Friday onward this has been a very special time for many.  Hopefully your family don’t live too far away and you have been able to spend some time with them.  It must have been a great feeling to spend time, in our gardens, with loved ones.

How it has lifted all our spirits and given us such a positive boast.  If you were able to visit someone you have not seen during Lockdown you will know this feeling.  Hopefully it won’t be too much longer until we can see all of our family.

Today is also a new month/season JUNE begins our three months of SUMMER, can you believe it!! This too should make us feel more positive as hopefully we have lovely weather.

How positive did this little visit have on us.  Being positive makes our world a better place and after all the changes that have happened over the last few months,  we will begin to see a brighter, happier, and more POSITIVE future ahead.

I would like you to take the word POSITIVE and write an acrostic poem.  (Remember you take the word POSITIVE and in large letters you write it down the left-hand side of your page and then write a word/sentence that begins with each letter of POSITIVE).

Here is an example for the word Welcome to let you see how your poem should look.

You can email your poem to (Teacher’s Glow email) or upload it onto Twitter with an adult’s permission.

Now to keep that positive vibe going let’s try a little Zumba.

Remember to have plenty of drinks throughout the day.  It’s going to be another hot day and we need to stay hydrated!!  Watch out for tomorrow’s post to give you another idea for keeping hydrated!!

Number

See the source image

Boys and girls, here is a worksheet which has adding and taking away sums.  You will need to look very carefully at the sign in each sums to answer them correctly.  Remember when you add 2 numbers together you get a bigger number.  When you take 1 number away from another the answer gets smaller.  Good luck!

See the source image

Time

Oclock

Boys and girls, can you make a ladybug clock just like this one.

See the source imageNow you can move the hands of the clock to show different times.

1. What time do we start school in the morning?
  2. Can you move the hands of the clock to show this time?
  3. What time do we finish school in the afternoon?
  4. Can you move the hands of the clock to show this time?
  5. I have my lunch at 1 o’clock, can you move the hands of the clock to show this time?
  6. I go to my bed at 10 o’clock, can you move the hands of the clock to show this time?

Well done boys and girls.  If you have a watch or a clock at home you could move the hands to show different times.  This is a good way of practising telling the time.

I have also set a little challenge on sum-dog about time.  Good luck!

I hope you have a good day boys and girls.  Remember you don’t need to do everything, just do what you can and have fun.

Mrs Connolly