Primary 1b- Wednesday 27th May

Good morning Superstars🌟

I have missed you all! 

I hope you all had a wonderful long weekend and enjoyed spending time with your families. I enjoyed going for a long cycle on Sunday and a lovely long walk on Monday. The sunny weather has been beautiful.☀️

It was your first ever Sports’ Day yesterday. It was a little different to the normal Sports’ Day we usually have at St. Barbara’s but I hope you still managed to have a fun-filled day! I was so glad that the sun was shining all day yesterday for Virtual Sports’ Day.  I loved seeing all of the fantastic pictures and videos you shared, it was great to see your happy faces!😀

Well done everyone for your excellent efforts!👏 I hope you all had lots of fun!

Let’s get started on today activities.

We will begin our day as always, with our morning prayer.🙏🏻

God our Father, as we prepare to begin our work, we ask you to help us use properly, the many gifts you have given us, so that we may fully benefit from our day together in school. St. Barbara, pray for us.

Here is today’s overview:

DailyOverviewMay27th

Literacy🔠

ee phoneme 👀🐝 🌲

Practise the ee phoneme.

Common Words: old, do, going

This week the children cannot sound out their common words.

The o in old and going sounds like the letter name, it doesn’t make the o sound.

The o in do, sounds like oo.

They need to think of a different strategy.

Ask your child to think of a strategy to help them spell each new common word correctly.

Can they spot a word within a word? go is in the word going or they might spot in.

Writing✍️

Once your child has written their sentences ask them to check that they have included their core writing targets.

Maths🔢

Time ⏰

Let’s begin with the days of the week.

Tell an adult what day it is today. What day is it tomorrow? What day was it yesterday?

Can you say the days of the week? How many days are in one week?

Now let’s think about the months of the year.

Can you say the months of the year? How many months are in one year?

Jack Hartmann is here to help!

Clocks and calendars 

Why do we need calendars and clocks? 

Listen carefully to this video to find out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zj6bjhv

Calendars 📅

A calendar is very useful, it helps us learn about the passing of time along with the months of the year and their order.

calendar is a series of pages that shows the days, weeks, and months of a particular year. It is a tool we use to help us keep track of each day, and it allows us to visually see when different events will happen.

Learning to read a calendar is an important maths skill.

I have included a page from a calendar below:

This is the first page of the calendar because January is the first month of the year.

Look carefully at the calendar. Along the top we have the days of the  week and then below, it shows you how many days are in that specific month. There are 31 days in January.

Can you see that on the 8th of January I went to visit puppies.

What day of the week was this? Look at the days of the week at the top, it was a Wednesday.

Now let’s see if  you can practise reading the calendar. Here are some questions for you:

1. What did I do on the 26th of January?

2. What date did I go and visit my Grandma?

3. What day of the week did I visit the dentist?

Challenge-Have you got a calendar in your house? Practise reading the calendar at home.

Clocks 🕰 

Why do we need a clock? Clocks are very very very useful!

A clock is a device that tells the time.

This is an analogue clock face.

How many numbers are there? Which number is always at the top? What comes next?

You will be learning more about the analogue clock tomorrow.

Clocks are everywhere!

There are different types of clocks:

Watch

Wall Clock

Alarm Clock

Grandfather Clock

and lots more!

Today I would like you to go on a Clock Hunt around your house. 🕵🏻‍♀️

What different types of clocks can you find around your house?

You could take photographs of these and send me pictures of some of the clocks that you found on your clock hunt.  🕐

HWB🧘‍♂️🤸‍♀️🏊‍♂️⛹️‍♀️

I hope you enjoyed sport’s day yesterday and had plenty of fun!  I would like you to keep having fun whilst exercising.  Research shows that regular exercise has lots of benefits including:

• improving fitness
  • increasing concentration
  • building a stronger heart, bones and healthier muscles
  • encouraging healthy growth and development
  • improving posture and balance
  • lowering stress
  • Encouraging a better night’s sleep

Today we are going to have a Wild Workout with Andy.  Andy is off to the Arctic to see what he can find.  Let’s join him and exercise on the way!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06tmrxh/andys-wild-workouts-series-1-10-arctic

Now let’s do a fun dance video with GoNoodle:

I know this one is your favourite dance boys and girls! I miss dancing around the classroom with you all! 💃🏼 🕺

R.E.🙏🏻

When Jesus needed to feel very close to his Father, what did he do? – He would pray.  Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, before he was betrayed by Judas.  He prayed before he raised Lazarus from the dead and Jesus prayed during the Last Supper, before he broke the bread.  Like us Jesus needed to share his worries and problems with his heavenly Father; he knew that he was never alone.  Just as we are never alone.  God is always with us.

When we pray we are having a conversation with God.  When we talk to God, he listens.  We don’t have to have special times for saying prayers.  Often we say them at bedtime but we can talk to God at any time.  Do you ever feel unsure about what to say to God?  Don’t worry as God our Father likes to hear about everything we have to tell him and he is always ready to listen.

The apostles knew how important it was to pray to God but like us they often felt uncertain about how to pray.  One day they asked Jesus to teach them how to pray.  What was the prayer that Jesus taught them? – The Our Father.

Watch this short video about how Jesus taught his disciples the Our Father:

Let’s say the Our Father now.  I have copied the words to help you if you need it.

I would like you to download the picture below if you can and colour it in.  If you can’t download it why not draw a picture like this one.

Please send us a copy of your picture at gw13mceleneylauren@glow.sch.uk or Tweet us @St_BarbarasPS.

There are lots of suggested activities for today boys and girls. Please remember to do what you can and take plenty of breaks. Just try your best and I will be very impressed!😊

Remember to send me pictures of any work you are proud of to gw13mceleneylauren@glow.sch.uk Your amazing work could be displayed on the wall of fame on our class blog page.

Have a wonderful Wednesday Superstars!🌟

Miss McEleney 😊🌈❣️