Primary 6 – Tuesday 12th May

Good morning Primary 6,

I hope that you all had a lovely weekend.

This week we are going to work on some problems that involve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Calculate the answers to these questions in your jotter.

Remember, decimals make no difference to how you add, subtract, multiply or divide you only have to remember to keep the decimal points above one another, in a straight line.

Mixed Problems

a) Sandra has been buying a lot of newspapers and magazines since the start of quarantine. She spends £7.58 on newspapers, £6.15 on puzzle magazines and £8.93 on celebrity gossip magazines every week. How much is she spending in total every week?

b) Could Sandra pay with a £20 note?

c) How much more is she spending on gossip than on news?

d) Her most expensive puzzle magazine is £1.99. If she stops buying it, how much will she be spending on puzzles?

e) Sandra stacks up her newspapers and magazines when she is finished reading them. Her stack is 2.7 cm tall every week. How tall will Sandra’s stack of newspapers and magazines be after 8 weeks?

f) The arm of Sandra’s couch is 42 cm high. How many weeks will it take for the stack to be taller than the arm of her couch?

g) When the stack of magazines reaches over the arm of Sandra’s couch how much money will she have spent?

This is not how we would write out sums to find the answer so don’t write them this way in your jotter. Use place value, carrying and decomposition (borrowing) to find your answers.

I’ll post the answers to these tomorrow or you can send me your answers at:

gw09mcintoshdavid3@glow.sch.uk

This week for spelling we’re going to look at a spelling rule. The rule is, “Silent E for V and U”

To avoid words ending in a ‘v’ or a ‘u’ a silent ‘e’ is often added.

Examples

true, blue, give, love

Make a list in your jotter of 10 other words where a silent ‘e’ is used to stop the word ending in a ‘v’ or ‘u’

I’ve assigned you some reading in Scholastic Books.

Here are three new comprehension exercises for today. You can choose to do as many of them as you wish.

I’ll post the answers tomorrow.

Oochigeas comprehension

Fuzz comprehension

Huberta comprehension

May is the month of Mary.

This week I want you to think about ways in which we can show good manners to the people that we are around every day. In your jotter write these headings and try to list some examples of good manners in each situation:

Good Manners in the House

• Clean up after yourself
  • Say please and thank you

Good manners on the Computer

• Clear your work from the home screen
  • Do not open other people’s files

Good manners at Mealtimes

• Wash your hands before you come to eat
  • If you cannot reach something ask politely for it to be passed to you

As it’s Tuesday why don’t we follow the further adventures of, “Mi Vida Loca”

Remember you can still choose another task from your updated learning grid and there are other tasks on Sumdog, StudyLadder, FirstNews and Scholastic Books.

You can email me any of your work at:

gw09mcintoshdavid3@glow.sch.uk

Mr. McIntosh