Newmains Family Learning Centre

The Green Group have been learning how to keep safe with our new characters Sid and Shanarri

We have been introduced to some new characters in the nursery.  Our characters are Sid the monkey and Shanarri the spider and they are learning us ways we can keep safe.  The children listened to information in the story about how Sid and Shanarri helped to keep the snail safe.  They listened and learned some new words such as ‘anxious, worries and fears’ and learned the meaning behind them.  The children were able to relate these words to their own experiences and were able to discuss who helped to keep them safe.  The children also learned a range of people who can keep them safe.

Here are some examples of what the children said –

“I feel safe when my Mummy gives me a cuddle.”

“I feel worried when it is dark. I have a lamp in my room and it has a switch on it. I can reach over and put it on. This makes me feel safe.”

“When my brother is sad he cries.  Mummy or Daddy make him feel better by putting the hoover on for him.  I make him feel better by giving him a cuddle.  This makes him feel safe.”