Holly’s Bulgaria Project

Bulgaria

Facts about Bulgaria

The Capital of Bulgaria is Sofia. The Languages spoke in Bulgaria are manly:

Bulgarian

Turkish

And Roma

Religions in Bulgaria are manly:

Bulgarian Orthodox

Muslim

And Christian

This is the Bulgarian flag:

The national flag of Bulgaria consists of three horizontal stripes: white, green and red. White symbolizes peace, green symbolizes the emergence of Bulgaria as an agricultural nation, and red symbolizes bravery.

The capital and largest city in Bulgaria is called Sofia. There are 1.2 million people living in Sofia. Sofia is located at the foot of mount Vitosha and approximately at the centre of the Balkan Peninsula.

Bulgarian Cuisine

Bulgaria has lots of different food I have tasted some of them but I can only remember two of witch i tasted they are Tarator and a Bulgarian Kebab. Torator is a cold soup made of yoghurt and cucumber when I tried it I wasn’t impressed it was not for me but when I tasted the kebab I fell in love with it. It was so nice.

Traditional clothing

In Bulgaria they have a very Traditional dress called a Folk dress. A Bulgarian folk dress consists of trousers, shirts, and a vests for men, dresses and aprons for women. The aprons, dresses , and shirts are usually embroidered in regional colours and folk motifs. Red features heavily in Bulgarian folk dress, but black, green, and white are also a part of traditional clothing from Bulgaria’s various regions.

This is a photo of a folk.

Bulgarian Orthodox church

Bulgaria has many examples of Byzantine churches that attest to Bulgaria’s long relationship with Eastern orthodoxy. While Bulgaria has spiritual influences from Islam, other religions, and ancient pagan mysticism, many Bulgarians are deeply devout followers of the orthodox faith. Rila Monastery is a part of the Bulgarian orthodox.

Bulgarian Baba Marta

The day of Baba Marta ( Grandmother March) falls on the first of the month. On or before Baba Marta, Bulgarian people give each other martenitsa, or martenka, which are red and white tessels sold in shops and on the street or may be handmade. The colours of the martenitsa, whose symbolism comes from an old Bulgarian tale, represent blood and snow. Bulgarians are supposed to attach the martenitsa to their persons of clothing. Traditionally, the martenitsa were not removed until the first stork returned from migration to ensure prosperity and good health, but today this rule is bent or ignored with respect to modern times.

Easter in Bulgaria

Easter in Bulgaria in a strongly celebrated holiday. Red, the predominant colour of Bulgarian ester eggs, is part of pagan mysticism that pervades Bulgarian culture even today. Red Ester eggs are baked into an Easter loaf, may be blessed at the church, or may be cracked against each other to see who will be most successful, healthy, or happy during the following year. These Easter eggs have been decorated with Orthodox designs and symbols and differ from polish Easter eggs.

I will add my pictures in later as they wouldn’t copy and paste into the blog!