Symmetry

This week we have started to learn about symmetry.  We found out that butterflies are symmetrical and so are our faces.  For something to be symmetrical there needs to be the same on both sides.  Ewan explained that if you draw a line down a face there would be half a mouth, half a nose and one eye on both sides.

Today we worked in pairs.  We designed one half of a butterfly and then our partner had to try to complete the other side to make the butterfly symmetrical.

Caiden – I know that a circle is symmetrical.

Ryan – I know that a snowball is symmetrical.

Benjamin – Doing the symmetrical pictures was fun.

Rhys – The butterfly activity was fun because I got to work with Caiden.

We are looking forward to making some symmetrical Christmas decorations for our classroom.

6 thoughts on “Symmetry”

1. I really like this activity to practice symmetry. Did you get your butterflies symmetrical? I am looking forward to seeing the Christmas decorations.

2. This sounds like fun. What a great way to practise your symmetry. I can’t wait to see the decorations!

3. Your symmetrical butterflies look brilliant P1/2! I hope you enjoy making your symmetrical Christmas decorations!

4. Good job Primary 1/2! Primary 5 agree with your facts about symmetry. It looks like you have been having lots of fun and working really hard.

Primary 5 and Miss Peattie.