The Modern Languages Department offers pupils the opportunity to study French from S1 – S6 and German from S3– S6. Pupils follow a Broad General Education in S1-S3 and in the Senior Phase they can study the National 4, 5, 6 and Higher courses in both French and German. It is also possible to study Spanish as one of the languages in the Modern Languages for Life and Work course in the Senior Phase. The department offers all pupils every opportunity to become Confident Individuals, Responsible Citizens, Successful Learners and Effective Contributors through engaging in a variety of stimulating and challenging activities as part of their coursework and extra curricular provision. The department is committed to providing the best possible curriculum for the pupils it teaches and is convinced of the importance of learning at least one foreign language for the following reasons:
To improve your job prospects
- You increase your personal and professional value if you are able to negotiate with manufacturers in another country or communicate with customers who don’t speak your native language.
To give you more opportunities to travel overseas.
- Knowing more than one language provides you with more holiday destination possibilities. Travelling through a foreign country becomes much easier if you can speak the language of that country
To learn about other cultures and to broaden your horizons.
To make new friends
- Being able to communicate in a foreign language helps you get to know more people and to know them better.
To keep your mind alert –
- People who speak a second language been shown to be more logical and rational, have better decision-making skills and be more perceptive and aware of their surroundings.
To improve your self-confidence
- Confidence increases when you learn a language and the techniques you use to do so result in a greater sense of open-mindedness.