NSPS Nursery Blog

Reduce, Reuse and Recycle

We have learned lots about looking after our environment.  According to the Yellow group, that means looking after air, land, animals, people and water. Some comments we have had include “I reused clothes what my cousin gived me to wear, ‘cos she’s too big for them any more,”  “I draw on 2 sides of the paper” and “You turn the tap off when you’re brushing your teeth.”

In addition to the paper recycling bins we have in nursery, we now have a plastic recycling bin with a yellow lid, a blue recycling bin for cardboard and a bin with a red lid for tins and cans (we have practised the tricky word aluminium!) Aluminium is a kind of metal. Did you know that magnets stick to some metals but they don’t stick to aluminium?

We found out ways to reduce how much electricity our houses use. Try this site and see if you can find them all!

http://www.greenerscotland.org/saving-energy/energy-efficient-virtual-house

We played recycling games – both board games and on the SmartBoard and have become whizzes at putting different materials into the right bins!

Did you know? We have reduced our rubbish by over 50%! We recycle our milk cartons and have a compost bin for any food we don’t eat at snack. We are going to keep a chart to see how many times we can empty our recycling bins.

We looked after our environment by using a litter picker. Litter is rubbish that is on the ground. It should be in a bin because it is dirty and messy and bad for birds and animals.