Morningside Blog

Home Learning – January 2021

Dear parent/ carer,

In light of the Scottish government’s announcement to move to Home Learning from the 11th of January until at least the 18th of January I would like to ensure that all our children and families have access to our on line learning platforms.

• The main platform that we will be using during any period of Home Learning will be ‘Microsoft Teams’; this is the same platform that we currently issue all homework on. In Addition to this the additional platforms that we use are; ActiveLearn and Sumdog.
  • All children should have their login credentials and these are the same for all three platforms mentioned above.
  • Please visit our school website for a host of tutorials on how to access and use these platforms; https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/nl/MorningsideBlog/digital-area/online-guides/
  • Teams can be accessed from any laptop or computer and most tablets (the only tablet I have encountered that does not allow access is the Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet).
  • IMPORTANT – The number one problem that people have when accessing Teams is the login process. When accessing via an app whether it be the desktop app or mobile app you must put @glow.sch.uk at the end of your username.
  • iPad – It would be useful to download the Microsoft office suite (this is free) on apple devices as this will allow you to edit documents issued on assignments without downloading them.

We are currently waiting on further guidance from NLC on the exact expectations for Home Learning and staff will be working on finalising plans when they return to school on the 6th January.  We will issue more detailed plans on how Home Learning will look for our Learners that week. What we do know though is that all Home Learning will be online and issued via Teams so it is important that you login and familiarise yourself with this platform if you have not already been using it for homework.

• If you have any issues accessing any of the online platforms and have exasperated all the online tutorials on our website then please contact me directly at gw10stathisgeorge@glow.sch.uk and I will do my best to resolve any issues for you.
  • Likewise if you do not have means of accessing Teams (laptop or mobile device) then please contact me directly and I can do my best to issue 1 device per household.

I hope everyone takes the time to rest over the festive period and our staff will be working hard on their return to school on the 6th of January to prepare for Home Learning starting on the 11th of January. As mentioned above we will issue further guidance on how lessons will look etc. when we return to school in January.

Kind Regards,