So you think you can monologue?

S2 have been creating some terrifying tales! They were asked to write a story in the format of a dramatic monologue. This meant that they had to really get into the mind of their character and work hard to describe the setting. The story had to end on a climax and with the speaker being converted to believing in ghosts.

The pupils worked really hard to create a spooky tale and voted for their favourite to take part in a reading of their story in the library. Miss McGough was the judge and had a terrifyingly awful time picking a winner in the finals.

The lights were dimmed, torches shone in the darkness and the pupils huddled close to hear the readers tell their terrfying tale…..we just about survived it!

It was great to hear your stories. Congratulations to Rebecca Gault who was the overall winner. It was a very tough competition! Well done to all who took part!

Check out the pictures we took on the day.

Miss Daly 😀

9 thoughts on “So you think you can monologue?”

1. It was so enjoyable (and frightening) to hear the dramatic monologues read aloud by your scary selves. It was difficult to chose an overall winner as each of the final four monologues was well written and scarily retold.

The photos show what fun we had on that frightful, Friday afternoon! Well done, 2HS1.

Miss McGough 🙂

2. Hi, my name is Victoria Kilpatrick. My monologue was inspired by the book and film ‘The Woman in Black’. The story was scary and gave me the idea of the old house. I enjoyed the the fact that my character didn’t believe in ghosts but by the end they were beginning to believe. The ending of my monologue was left on a cliff hanger to make you think if the man was still alive or dead. If I had the chance, I would edit my monologue and make it more scary, also, adding an ending. This is a short extract from my monologue and I hope you enjoy it:

I took a deep breathe. The house was tall, old, and stunk of an old woman’s perfume. The cobwebs clung to the walls like a spider to its web. A loud bang came shooting from upstair. once again I ignored it.

During writing this, I found it difficult to keep it a monologue as it was in past tense. After I started, I couldn’t stop. I found it hard to end as I didn’t know what to say. I got help from the teacher and managed to leave it on a cliff hanger.

3. Hello, my name is Clare Broadhurst. My monologue is based on parts of ‘ The Woman in Black’ as it is very mysterious and has a never ending question. ‘ The Woman in Black’ is very scary and makes the hairs on your arms stand up. It is a very tense story and that is what i attempted to show in my short monologue. I left it on a cliff hanger making the reader wonder what happens in the end. I tried to create suspense all the way through the monologue.
    This is a short extract from my monologue;
    ” It’s practically pitch dark outside. The shadows seem to be reaching for me, like gnarled figures… but no, it must be the light… or lack of it.”

4. My short story was about a ghost. The inspiration i got to write this story was the extract we read in english about ‘The Women in Black’ by Susan Hill . It took a few weeks to write our short story’s and some turned out to be a lot longer than we thought.

In my short story there is one small part of it i really like and it really made me focus on the full story. Here is my best part about the extract in a small quotation,’It was a cold and foggy night at Murtaugh manor. All you could see was the moonlight attempting to shine through the fog.’ When i was writing my story I really put my self in the characters shoes who didn’t believe in ghosts or any other form except human and animals. At the end of my story my character finally gave in and began to believe in ghost.

I thought this part of our creative writing task was very fun as we really got to express our selfs and really become the character we were writing about. Miss Daly gave us a few rules before we wrote our story and the rules were. Only two characters. The characters doesn’t believe in ghosts. Put as much detail into the story as possible which we all thought was very decent rules. During writing Miss Daly was very helpful and good with us she let us write what we wanted but at the end when everyone was finished our story’s she gave us a very fun friday afternoon in the library reading our ghost story’s with scary music and flash lights and as Miss Daly couldn’t resist she had to take some funny pictures.

5. My short story was about a young girl who went for a walk in the pitch black on a cold stormy night and got lost and ended up in a field. There was an unusual house which had been abandoned. She had no other choice than to enter. The girl didn’t know where she was or who was around. Every now and again she could smell mens aftershave and cigars. The girl had no other choice to wait it out until morning. At the end she figured out she wasn’t alone. I used ‘The Women In Black’ by Susan Hill for my inspiration. I enjoyed listening to every ones monologues as they were all very detailed and were read out well. They all used interesting words and a lot of detail. ‘So you think you can monologue’ showed me that any story can sound a lot different depending on how you read it out loud. I enjoyed writing my short story because i got to make it my own and I got to listen to everyones ideas. Some people read out very well and it would make a shiver run down my spine as they were all very detailed and were wrote so well you could picture yourself in that person’s situation. We had a few rules. We were only allowed two characters and they do’t believe in ghosts. I enjoyed doing the monologs and hope we do them again.

6. Hi, my name is Liam Dunnachie. Recently my class read an extract from a horror story called the “Woman in Black”. This gave us inspiration to right our own horror stories which were all pretty amazing. Before the competition, we split into groups to decide who we thought were going to be the competitors would be to take part in the competition “So You Think You Can Monologue?”, a cleverly thought up title by one of my classmates. I really enjoyed it all. The writing of my spooky story, the heats and the competition itself. I was lucky enough to be one of the 6 speakers to read my story in front of the rest of the class and our judge, Mrs McGough, our school librarian.

This is the part of my story that I feel most proud of because of the tension, thrill and fear that I, personally thought that it built with the right use of speech:
    “As I enter the bedroom strange eerie noises erupt from somewhere to my left. I bend down and lean forward in hope to find the bed. I find it’s leg. I feel up and onto the cover to find my torch. When I do, I grip it tightly and press the button. My vision returns to me. I slowly go down the stairs, shining the torch in all directions. Then I hear James screaming in the bedroom. I was just there. He can’t be in there I checked everywhere. Yet i still find myself sprinting towards that squeaky door. It opens for me, as if someone knew I was coming. But there’s no one in there but James, and ghosts belong in fiction. THat was my last thought before I see the bone lifting up from beneath the fallen cabinet. How is it there? It was gone when I last checked. The last thing I remember was hitting my leg off of the bone and going flying over the bed and hitting my head off of the wall. I also recall the sound of smashing glass.”

7. My name is Rebecca Gault and I also took part in the monologue competition. Like my other classmates, this monologue was inspired by The Woman In Black which we read a short extract from. This helped spark off some ideas for own terrifying monologue. Here is an extract from my piece which I am rather proud of.
    “A soft, wavering voice began to speak directly behind me. Gentle singing sounded, lulling me into a light trance until I swayed forward into the trees, a dizzy, dreamy quality taking over me. My hands outstretched, reaching for the spirit that I knew was there. The angel, come to save me from this….I loathe to say ghost but it is all I can describe it as. I caught sight of the beautiful angel again – the white light pulling me forward. Then it changed into a twisted, ugly thing with a snarl to curdle your blood. There wasn’t enough time to scream…not enough time to run…I was left there in those woods and, well…that is how I find myself speaking to you now. Look behind you…”

8. My short story is about a women who is haunted by her late husband. e had to write ghost stories then read them infront of your small group, once we all had picked out our favourites we had to read them out infront of the whole class by putting in lots of expression and try to scare our audience. I was inspired to write this story by Susan Hill ‘The Women in Black’.

The part of my story which I feel the most proud of was the last paragraph:
    “As I crept down as quietly as possible looking everywhere around me to see if anything was there. All I could remember next was the clock stricking 12 and my husband laughing over my body as conciousness drained from me and ….”

9. Hello my name is Catriona, and I participated in the so you think you can monologue. My class and I were creating our own ghost stories after reading a littlem story from the woman in black.This was to give us some inspiration for our stories and it helped. So hears a little part of my story the part i thought was the best.

As I strolled through the forest it got so dark that it seemed as if there wasn’t even any light left in the dawn, the shadows of night were lurking about, the first few flakes of snow fell to the ground as the first blossoms of winter began to show