Gaming Platform – GCW-Zero (Handheld)

There is a new hand held on the way for may. Unlike most other handhelds, this one isn’t made by a big company, no its made by gamers for gamers.

[kml_flashembed movie="https://www.youtube.com/v/5HjnZkSZMaw" width="425" height="344" allowfullscreen="true" fvars="fs=1" /]

The pixel count on the monitor could be considered a little low, but most of the consoles it emulates only used this resolution and what do you want on the 3.5″ screen?

I supoose the big question is will it do more and be better than the gp2xdingoo, caanoo or pandora. I must admit I still like the look of the Pandora it reminds me of the old Toshiba Libretto before it became all big and netbooky.

Here are the specs

Specifications

CPU: Ingenic JZ4770 1 GHz MIPS processor
GPU: Vivante GC860, capable of OpenGL ES 2.0
Display: 3.5 inch LCD with 320×240 pixels; 4:3 aspect ratio is ideal for retro gaming
Operating System: Linux 3.x (OpenDingux)
Memory: 512 MB DDR2
Internal storage: 16 GB, most of which is available for applications and data
External storage: micro SDHC up to 32 GB or micro SDXC of 64 GB (SDXC cards must be reformatted before use)
Connectivity: Mini USB 2.0 OTG, Mini HDMI 1.3 out, 3.5 mm (mini jack) A/V port for earphone and analog TV-out
Audio: Stereo speakers, mono microphone
Other: Accelerometer (g-sensor) and vibration motors
Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz, can connect to access point or direct device-to-device
Dimensions: 143 * 70 * 18 mm
Weight: 8 oz / 225 g
Battery: 2800 mAh

Author: Mr Stratton

Computing teacher and a PT at Coltness High School.