The Rights Respecting Schools Award is a Unicef UK programme that aims to put children’s rights at the heart of schools in the UK. Unicef work with lots of schools around the country to embed children’s rights in their school ethos and culture to improve well-being and develop every child’s talents and abilities to their full potential.
The Award recognises a school’s achievement in putting the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child into practise within the school and beyond.
So why make Forres Academy a Rights Respecting School?
Evidence from existing Rights Respecting Schools suggests that the RRSA scheme can help to:
- Improve self-esteem and well-being among students
- Improve relationships between students
- Improve relationships between students and adults
- Reduce bullying, truancy and exclusions
- Engage students more with learning
- Tackle prejudice views
- Engage students in decision making within their school
- Engage Schools more with global issues