We ask that children are dressed in suitable clothes when coming to nursery. Children often take part in messy activities so it is wise not to dress them in their best clothes. We try to make sure they wear aprons but accidents do happen. Please also ensure that your child has suitable outdoor clothing for outdoor play and going out on trips. It would be helpful if your child’s coat etc. is clearly marked with their name. Sweatshirts and polo shirts, with the nursery logo embroidered on them, can be purchased from Smiths Sportswear on West Blackhall Street, Greenock.
There are forms of dress which are unacceptable in establishments, such as items of clothing which:
- potentially, encourage faction (such as football colours)
- could cause offence (such as anti-religious symbolism or political slogans)
- could cause health and safety difficulties, such as loose fitting clothing, dangling earrings, or clothing made from flammable material for example shell suits in practical activities
- could cause damage to flooring
- carry advertising, particularly for alcohol or tobacco
- could be used to inflict damage on other pupils or be used by others to do so
The Council is concerned at the level of claims being received regarding the loss of children’s clothing and/or personal belongings. Parents are asked to assist in this area by ensuring that valuable items and unnecessarily expensive items of clothing are not brought to the establishment. Parents should note that the authority does not carry insurance to cover the loss of such items and any claims submitted are likely to be met only where the authority can be shown to have been negligent.
Parents should note that the activities the children may become involved in may be restricted because health and safety requirements state that jewellery of any kind must not be worn where children are undertaking physical activities. This includes jewellery worn as a result of body piercing.