Basic Academic Skills

During primary school, I knew that I was stronger at Maths than I was at English. I was in top set Maths but in the second group for English. When I moved up to secondary school, the teachers just assumed that I was good at English as I didn’t struggle in any other subject. It wasn’t until we were streamed in third year that I realised how much I was struggling. With the help of an English tutor, I was able to pass Intermediate 2 and then go on to get a B at higher, however I did have to put a lot of hard work in.

During Advanced Higher History, I was constantly told that I had all the correct information and would get the marks I needed but that my English was “clumsy”, this statement has stuck in my head since.

Due to past experiences, I was slightly nervous that my English skills would hold me back at University but thanks to the Online Module and Study Skills book, I feel more confident. I took my time doing the reading and copied up the notes so I can refer back to them. It has also made me more careful when writing and I now remember to read over my work.

I hope by refreshing my memory and improving my grammar and punctuation skills that I will be at a standard suitable for university level writing.