Maps, Maths and More Maps

We recently received a workshop from Richard which looked at the aspect of mathematics involved in reading a map. We completed the task on google maps, because sadly we were not allowed to complete the task in the middle of the Highlands due to health and safety. We were placed in an area which we were not familiar with and were told to go from a primary school to a small street. We had to memorise the route and then complete it in street view.

I found this task very straight forward. My strategy was to memorise the general direction in which I had to travel and estimate how long to travel in that direction. Then additionally to remember distinct places to aid me. I managed to complete the task rapidly and was then asked to help another group. I feel that the reason other groups struggled was because they looked too deeply into the task and ended up confusing themselves.  By using basic ideas (Ma, 2010), such as estimation and distance, I was able to get from point A to B relatively quickly. However, I am aware that my way is not the only way to do this as there is multiple perspectives (Ma, 2010) in the way in which this activity could have been approached.

I developed map reading skills from a young age as I completed a map reading badge when I was younger in Pony Club. At horse riding, I constantly used my map reading skills to work out where I was going to ride my horse, this increased when my whole riding school moved yards and we were all in a new surroundings. While exploring our new surroundings, things often didn’t go to plan and I developed the skills to remain calm and not panic. I feel that this is one of the reasons I was able to complete the task effectively and remain calm when other people were getting themselves uptight.

I feel that this activity would be very effective in the Primary School Classroom as it allows children to do Mathematics without realising it. By teaching children mathematical concepts without labelling the class as a maths class shows children that mathematics is involved in different subjects and you may not even notice it. It might also help children who feel anxious when learning about mathematics feel more confident when doing maths.

Reference

Ma, L., (2010) Knowing and teaching elementary mathematics (Anniversary Ed.). New York: Routledge.