Enquiring Practitioner

An enquiring practitioner is someone that engages in research to support their learning and also pupil’s learning. For me being an enquiring practitioner is a really important part of being a teacher as it allows you to expand on your knowledge and develop your practice. It also allows you to evaluate and reflect on your practice.

Being an enquiring practitioner also allows you to work collaboratively with others as you share your experiences and ideas. It also allows the research topic area to be looked at through different perspectives and then the ideas shared to the group; this expands your knowledge even further. There may be challenges when working with others as some practitioners may not want to share their ideas, conflict could occur and ineffective communication. If these challenges occur in your team this could hinder the work completed and you would not be getting the overall experience to share and communicate your ideas.

Being an enquiring practitioner creates an opportunity for you to stop and look at the different ways of working and teaching. By doing this it allows you to adapt the way you teach in order for your pupils to be more engaged in their learning and to get the best possible experiences. People who engage in research have a better understanding of their practice and ways that they could improve it. An enquiring practitioner becomes more aware of their pupils and the difficulties they may have and how they can help them.

I feel that being an enquiring practitioner is important to consider as a student teacher as it allows you to collaboratively work with others. It allows you to develop your knowledge and observe teachers taking lessons and carrying out lesson planning.

There are challenges that could occur as an enquiring practitioner for example some enquiries could simply be to prove the best practice or test the latest initiatives.

Overall being an enquiring practitioner is extremely important and it is definitely something I will be doing as a teacher.

4 thoughts on “Enquiring Practitioner

1. Jessica you can see that you are really for being a enquiring practitioner and you can sense your enthusiasm. I like how you included working collaboratively within this also. You can maybe expand the challenges a bit further next time!

Reply
  2. You have described what an enquiring practitioner is well and I liked how you incorporated the positive and negative aspects of it along with your description. I also like how you have related it back to the pupils as well – this shows that you have a good understanding that it is not just for personal benefit. You have also covered everything we were asked to in this post, well done.

One suggestion for future work is to add more personal reflection. In this post, I think the paragraph about why it is important as a student teacher could have contained more reflection.

Adele
    x

Reply
  3. You have written a great summary of what it means to be an enquiring practitioner which shows your understanding of the term but is not too long and detailed!
    You have interwoven the benefits of practitioner enquiry into the post well so that it fits in with the flow of the post.
    As Shannon said, you should consider expanding on/including more examples of the disadvantages/challenges!

Reply
  4. Avatar photo

Reading your post before researching into the enquiring practitioner it would have gave me a great amount of information!
    Your summary at the start was a very strong, confident opening to your post and I think it was great to include the definition of it but also your personal view! I like how you have a balance of both the benefits and the challenges, rather than the post being heavily sided to one.
    A possibility which I would consider is maybe including more of how this will impact us as students, you have touched upon it therefore I don’t feel it’s absolutely necessary however it may improve the post a little!
    I struggled finding a developing point from this as I felt it was very much ‘to the point’ which I enjoyed and want to attempt doing so in my own future posts.

Reply