Inspiration for Teaching

14, a number that won’t be forgotten: The age I was when I knew teaching was for me. It was the time my mum became ill, our roles switched. I was the mum, she was the daughter. I had many jobs around the house including helping my mum to read and write again: making her a scrap book of pictures and words to help her understand the meaning of them. The feeling of achievement when she started learning words was truly amazing and being able to see the progression from her knowing no words to now being able to know what words describe what object. This life changing experience was a way of me being able to identify that I wanted to be the teacher who everyone remembers for going above and beyond and to help every pupil achieve their full potential.

After this, I went to college for further education which confirmed Teaching is the career I want to pursue. I have been in placement within a Nursery as well as a Primary Two class. Within this role, I planned and set up lessons, allowing me to widen my own understanding of the roles a teacher needs to have to make sure every pupil or child is engaged in their learning. I have learned that each pupil has different learning styles and to support those who have difficulties at home, during school or due to a disability which I could personally relate to due to my mum falling ill.

One of my main goals when I become a Teacher is to be apart of the growth of a child’s development and see how they grow to confident individuals which allow them to feel prepared for Secondary School. I have the skills which will be used to ensure children reach this stage but also know it won’t be easy, through experience and developing my skills during my time at University.