ART AND LITERACY LINK

WEEK 4 – Tuesday 1stOctober 2019

In our drama workshops for the next couple of weeks we are completing and observing microteaching. In our groups, we have to plan a drama lesson then carry it out to the rest of the class. This week my group were only observing the micro teaching so I was looking forward to it. I think it was beneficial to watch the other groups teach as it allowed us to see each other’s ideas and teaching methods.

Thinking forward to our microteaching next week, my group got together and started to plan. I think our planning process went very well as we were able to split off to get jobs done. Someone completed the powerpoint, while another sourced a copy of the book we are going to base our teaching on. Now that we have a plan, I feel slightly more relaxed about next week, however, I am nervous that it wont go as planned.

In our art workshop, we looked back at the paintings we done last week. We were asked to use chalk pastels to emphasise our paintings and add anything we’d like to add.

Our next step was then to realte the piece of art we had completed back to creative writing. To do this, we were required to think of a time we had experienced the scottish highlands. However, if we’ve never had an experience we were to find a scottish poem that we liked. We were then given pencils and asked to write the poem/experience over our painting. At first, everyone in the class had the same kind of feeling, we all felt like we were going to ruin the painting we had worked on over the two weeks. However, after completing it, I understood the logic behind it and realised that it was actually a very good way to bring literacy and art together.