MICROTEACHING

WEEK 5 – Tuesday 8thOctober 2019

This weeks lecture began with our introduction to music. Prior to this input, I had no idea of the effects of music and how important it is within the classroom. For example, music helps improve social awareness, promote wider health and wellbeing and enhances social skills. These are all vital skills young people should have, that they can develop simply through music.

Later on, during the music workshop, we looked a lot at musical appreciation. Listening to different pieces of music, has different effects on each individual, due to our individual musical appreciation. We can use music to inspire us to think creatively through literacy and art, for example, we could listen to a piece of music and allow it to inspire the pupils to write a creative piece of writing, or a story board (which we done in the workshop.)

During this weeks drama workshop, my group were to carry out our microteaching. We decided to choose a children’s book and develop drama ideas from the story, the book we chose was “Going on a Bear Hunt.” We decided to look at the drama conventions: Freeze Frame, Teacher in Role and Thought Tunnel. Once we had identified the conventions we had to split the lesson up so we all had something to plan and carry out. My area was the warm up, which I found slightly nerve-racking as it meant that I was the first in the group to talk. For the warm up, I decided to make it as if the pupils were going on their own bear hunt around the classroom. I found this very effective, as I meant it related back to the book but also made the pupils feel at ease and ready to start looking at the conventions.

I feel like our microteaching went okay, everything that we planned we were able to carry out. Personally, I feel like I need to work on my tone of voice and pitch, but I think that comes down to my lack of confidence.