Inclusion and Equality

What is incusion and why is it important? Inclusion embraces policies and practices that support diversity, giving a voice to certain individuals, groups and communities that have been traditionally marginalised. Inclusion applies to people that have been discriminated against for a variety of reasons. For example, their gender, sexual orientation, background, age and many more.

There are three levels of inclusion in which inclusion has different concerns (Nelson and Prilleltensky 2010): the individual level, relational level and the societal level. At the individual level, inclusion is concerned with giving people control over their own lives and having a say. At the relational level, inclusion looks to provide people with supportive relationships and welcoming communities. At the societal level, inclusion is concerned with the promotion of equality and providing people with the material help that they require.

Inclusion is also important within education. Lani Florian- Bell chair of Education at the University of Edinburgh researched inclusive pedagogy. Her first research question being “What teaching strategies help to increase the participation and achievement of all children, including those identified as having special educational needs or requiring additional support for learning?”. Florian found that for teachers to be more inclusive, they must focus on the learning of all pupils in their class and not only on those that may need additional support. I agree with Florian’s findings as the teacher will spend more time with those that need additional support within the class. Therefore, leaving the ‘more able’ pupils with a feeling that they are not included or that the teacher has not challenged them to their full potential. I found Lani Florian’s research really interesting and it enthused me to look out for this and make sure that within the classroom I am including the whole class and taking in to consideration each pupils learning.

In relation to inclusion is equality. To promote equality is to promote sameness and to provide people with the same opportunities. There are different approaches to equality. The equality of opportunity approach is based on the desire to provide people with a fair starting point in life. This approach appears to be based on the assumption that the solution to problems of inequality are to be found mainly at the level of the individual. Therefore if we can give individuals more and better opportunities, inequality will no longer be a major concern. The equality of outcome approach highlights the fact that there is a need for more than the same opportunities. Focusing on rewards and praise it states that the outcome and rewards will be the same. However, the equality as fairness and equality of condition approaches are more realistic and involve the enabling of individuals so that they can be as equal as possible in relation to the central conditions of their lives.

The Equality Act 2010 specifies nine characteristics as protected against discrimination. The act focuses on eliminating discrimination and advance equality of opportunity for all.

From learning about this topic, it has highlighted to me that as a teacher equality and inclusion are vital within the classroom. When I go on placement I will ensure that I am aware of both of these aspects.

header-picture_gender-equality