eBooks Within the Classroom

In digital technologies today, we learned how to make an eBook and how they can be used in the classroom. Our task involved working in pairs and summarising a Roald Dahl book. We then used the Book Creator app on the iPad to create an eBook based on the summarised version of the book. We explored the app and used pictures and sounds to make the book more engaging for children. We choose the book, ‘The Magic Finger’.  This was a book that I had never read before, therefore this task was a whole new experience for me as I was introduced to both a new book and a new app. This app could be used across the curriculum and as a way of testing pupils knowledge. Furthermore, I think creating an e-Book would be a great exercise as you come to an end of a class topic as this allows children to reflect and share all the information that they know in the form of a book.

image

In David Andrew’s article “An apple for the teacher: are iPads the future in class?” he expresses his love for the use of mobile devices within the classroom. Before his school had started using iPads he decided to research their use and if they would be more beneficial to the children than the laptops that they already had in the school. After then investing in his own iPad- which not only he loved but his 3 year old daughter also took great interest in the device, she even had fun learning on it through listening to stories and learning her alphabet and how to write letters. After gathering all the pros and cons of iPads he found that although they can not be used for everything that laptops are, they offer a variety of apps and games that children can engage and learn from. David Andrew also highlights the fact that the iPad is much easier to use than a laptop as the touch interface makes it more interactive and engaging.

In my opinion I think that iPads are a great device and should definitely be used for learning purposes within the classroom. Technology is becoming bigger and bigger and as many children will be exposed to these devices at home then come in to school to use only pen and paper, they may feel less motivated to learn and no enjoyment when they learn. Whereas, with the use of these devices many children will already be used to using them and will perhaps even be able to introduce teachers to apps that they use to learn. Having said this, these devices are expensive and not all children will be lucky enough to have one at home. Therefore, introducing these to schools gives these children the opportunity to use this great new device.