The End of the Beginning

Now that the time for submission of my blog has arrived and I have reached the end of my beginning of the digital technologies world, I felt it would only be appropriate to take a minute to reflect on my time spent in the BA1 Digital Technologies module. I have loved every minute of this class and it has taught me so much about the use of digital technologies in education. I will admit that in the past I saw digital technologies as nothing more than I.C.T. time and as a reward in the classroom. However, I can now see that it is so much more than databases, word documents and spreadsheets, and as base for games and for me to post photos of my weekend! Digital technologies can enhance learning in the classroom by engaging learners – making them feel as though they are not even learning! It allows them to develop essential technology skills which they will require in their future lives and it also helps them to build up life skills such as collaboration and communication. By delving into the digital technologies world, learners can gain knowledge and develop understanding of every possible area of the curriculum and can do so in a way which helps them to see that their learning is related to real-life. They are also provided with numerous opportunities through technology to get a feel for a topic and to show off their work to the world! Overall, digital technologies make learning real. They allow learners to speak first hand to different people, from those in their community to those who live on the other side of the world and to use their skills as digital natives to comfortably and excitedly leap into learning with the enthusiasm that we need them to have.

This module has shown me that for our learners of today to reach their full potential, in school and in life, we must not allow ourselves to be stuck in the past because after all…