Molly Doull UWS ITE ePDP

October 26, 2018
by Molly Doull
0 comments

Communication in other Environments

In the group I was put in, I don’t feel that there was a designated group leader, instead I feel that we are all worked collectively to achieve the goals set. This helped our group as there was no underlying resentment nor was anyone exclude as we all played a specific role in making our den. Personally, the hardest part of working in a group was talking to them to begin with as I didn’t know anyone in my group that well. This actually worked out well in the end as I was able to interact with some people that I wouldn’t have otherwise meet.

The group that was explaining how they made there den to us was very clear and concise and got there points across very affectively. They made their explanation extremely clear by having clearly thought out what everyone in the group was going to say to help ensure that they said everything they wanted to say without repeating themselves.

It is clear that in the outdoor environment meant that you had to project your voice much more than in the classroom setting in order to be heard. When presenting I was much more aware of the volume that was being used and I think that when communicating in the environment we do have to talk a little louder than usual. It can be very distracting when outside as there is lots to look at and listen to so in order to make this kind of environment less distracting you could make sure you stand somewhere that there in not a lot to look at round about you or even find a space that is relatively quiet and sheltered.

My negotiations were successful as I managed to persuade the group that they didn’t need the item that they wanted and I made a clear strong argument that helped to sway them and in turn convince them that they didn’t nee that item. The most challenging art was trying to find a reason the they don’t need there and item an that because if this they should give up this item.

October 26, 2018
by Molly Doull
0 comments

Giving Feedback

Both mine and my partners note on strengths and weaknesses were very closely aligned. We both agree that the teacher was extremely enthusiastic about they tasks the kids were doing and listened to all the children’s ideas and questions. He also avoided the use of fillers such as em, ah and um. However we both agreed that the teacher could have spoken more clearly as sometimes we felt that he mumbled, I addition we felt that he could try to display more positive body language as he often stood with his arms folded.

Nothing really surprised us in the videos as we both agreed that feedback was an extremely important tool in a teachers development, and that is helpful in highlighting certain things that could be improved within your teaching style that even you couldn’t see. I found this takes relatively easy however I the video where we had to observe the teacher, I found it quite hard to fill out some of the sections because in the short video clip that we saw the activity didn’t show example of him undertaking all the aspects he was being observed on.

I feel that I am now extremely clear on the difference between feedback and judgement and I will now be able to give more insightful and worthwhile feedback while I am out on placement. The one idea that I will take with me on placement is that reflective practice and feedback are extremely important in your development as a teacher. In general I am extremely excited to being going on placement and am looking forward to being able to put some of the skills I have learned through situated communication into practice. As well as being able to physically see what has been talked about in lecture in practice.

September 17, 2018
by Molly Doull
0 comments

Starting BA1 Education

Initially, starting university at UWS seemed quite scary and daunting for many reasons. It was my first time travelling to ayr from Glasgow on my own using the train which was scary prospect in itself, but i also knew absolutely nobody coming to study Education at UWS. However the people at UWS were very welcoming and made me feel right at home the minute i walked into the reception area. My first week at UWS i was introduced to many new people and lecturers within the university as well as meeting lots of new people and making some new friends. The first week was packed full of lots of important information on module options and professionalism. What i found most helpful through the whole of induction week was speaking to the BA2 students as it was extremely helpful to hear there experiences, their thoughts and opinions on certain modules from BA1 as well as hearing any advice they had for us.