Milngavie Early Years Centre

news for parents

Foil painting with Elaine J- Can you Paint a Starry Sky?

Elaine J has sent us a lovely painting activity for our blog, using wintry colours.  I think I’ll be trying this one myself!

Hi everyone, I hope that you are all well. I am really missing all the boys and girls that I usually see on Thursdays and Fridays in
 Nursery! Following on from Eileen’s activity to take a walk in the dark beforebedtime, I thought that you might like to create a picture  the night sky. 

There was a very famous artist called Van Gogh and this is one of his paintings  called “The Starry Night” – I wonder how we
 could make a painting like this?

I thought we could use different shades of blue and white and have fun swirling paint around foil which should give your painting a real winter feel.  Just remember painting on foil is easy and fun but it can tear easily so we need to be gentle.

What you will need:-
Newspaper or plastic table cover.
Tin foil.
Blue, white and yellow paint (You will need something to put the paint on – I used a paper plate but you could use a lid or shallow tub.)
Cotton buds and/or small brushes. (Cotton buds are good for encouraging a lighter touch)
Cutting board    (just wrap the foil around the board) or piece of card to attach foil to provide a solid surface to paint on.

I started by attaching foil to some recycled card.

I put small amounts of paint onto my plate.

I started to swirl some paint onto the foil. I mixed the white and blue paint to make a lighter shade of blue. I used yellow and white
paint for the stars and moon and as my blue paint was still wet, it turned the yellow paint green !

This was my finished painting !  If you make a painting of the night sky, then we would love to see a photo of it on the learning journals.
Take care everyone !
Elaine J x