Climate Change – Sustainable Development

Climate is known as the average weather at a given point and time of a period of time. Weather is something that is expected to change on a daily basis, however, we expect the climate to remain constant. If the climate doesn’t remain constant, it is known as Climate change.

Climate change is an important subject across the world. This is due to drawbacks the world is faced with because of climate change, an example of a drawback would be the sea level changes and agriculture. There is much debate around the idea of  evidence and figures that support the concept of climate change being man-made.

Most climate change septics dispute the findings of the intergovernmental Panel on climate change. Others, such as the danish Economist Bjorn Lamborg, argue that, although global warming is real, there is little we can do to prevent it.

Having become familiar with the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 I am aware of the result the 2050 target aims to achieve. The aim of the 2050 target is to ensure emission in 2050 is at least 80% lower than the baseline of alternative gases.  However, the improvised target is to ensure the emission in 2020 is at least 42% lower than alternative gases. The Scottish Minister must set annual targets to improve problems revolving around emission.

The WWF Footprint Calculator helped to me realise my own carbon footprint was 106%, finding this out shocked as well as my annual carbon emission was 11 tones. Both higher than 2020 target set by the UK Government. Thus allowing me to realise that a change is needed to  lower my carbon footprint taking on the advice given from the WWF calculator this will be something I will work to achieve.

These are the areas which make the biggest contribution to my carbon footprint.

• Food 24% – could you buy more seasonal food?
  • Home 26% –  do you have energy saving measures in your house?
  • Travel 31% –  how much do you cycle, carpool, or walk to work?
  • Stuff 19% – could you buy more things second-hand?

Taking into account these questions will help to contribute as well as the advice given from the WWF  footprint calculator will also help reduce my Carbon Footprint. As this has helped realise if I don’t take into consideration these question I will only be damaging the Climate in the future with my own bad habits.

In Conclusion, Climate Change is a matter of concern that is important to the worlds population. Everyone in the world has to reduce the use of bad habits as well as our carbon footprint, thus allowing 2050 target will be met to improve our living situations illustrated in the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009.