Reflections on Placement

B00303588

I thoroughly enjoyed my BA1 placement as it gave me an insight on how a school works from the prospective of a teacher. I feel my experience was made even more rewarding and interesting  by the fact I was placed in a P4 class where ability and development varied extremely between the pupils and I was able to observe how the teacher dealt with this.

I have identified that when working in the primary school that my biggest strength was my ability to engage and interact with the pupils in the class. I felt at ease when doing this as I already have previous experience working with children in my job as a sports coach and dance teacher. I felt this was especially profound when I was in the playground as I was able to talk to them about subjects that then related to and had interest in, whilst still keeping a professionalism about it.

Reflecting back on my placement the area I have seen the most progress in is my confidence when addressing a large group of people; be it the pupils or staff. I feel this way as on my first day at the school I was very nervous when entering the staff room and kept myself to myself. However, as the week went on I spoke more to staff and felt comfortable asking them questions about the school and lessons.

I feel my ability to explain things in a way children comprehend is an area that I still need to develop and work on. I identified this after I was left with a group to introduce fractions to them and in particular halves and quarters. The group was of a low ability with three out of the four being dyslexic. I think the first day when I taught them I was possibly using words they didn’t understand and as a result they didn’t quite grasp the concept. As a result on the second day I came prepared with sheet with shapes on them for the children so they could physically half and quarter them. I believe this made it easier for the children as some of the group then grasped the basics of fractions.

In order to improve my weakness, I will put a plan in place so that next time I am on a placement I am able to use better word choices and ways of teaching that are suitable to the individual pupil/group/class. As part of my action plan I have decided to read into maths terminology and how it progresses throughout the stages. I will also ask my fellow peers and teachers if they have any advice.  Finally, I will research the variety of resources that can be used for teaching different subjects to keep the pupil engaged.

One thought on “Reflections on Placement”

1. Hello Lily, you’ve made some interesting observations here, especially around using language – it will be good to see how your action plan helps you develop this area. Personally speaking, I’m uncomfortable with the term ‘low ability’ – can you think why this might be and what other expressions might be useful here?