Kerry Graham UWS ITE ePDP

Inclusion and Diversity

During this input, we looked in detail about the importance of inclusion and equality in today’s society, with relation to the Equality Act of 2010. I found this input very interesting and relevant to becoming a teacher.

As a perspective teacher, I now understand that a child must feel included and comfortable within their learning environment and to feel happy and at ease around their peers in order for them to grow and learn with an open mind.

Another important lesson I took from this week’s input was that although equality is highly important and as a teacher the Equality Act of 2010 will have a recurring role in my practice, in order to give every child a fair chance in every given opportunity, I feel equity is an even more beneficial practice to go by. This is where every child will get the same experiences and opportunities despite their race, religion, ability etc. Therefore, this should lead to a fair classroom environment where every single child feels equal and that no one is more advantaged or less advantaged than others.

I now understand how significant the awareness of inclusion and equality is in everyday life. Especially being able to link this to practices in the classroom.