Kerry Graham UWS ITE ePDP

Religion, Society and Diversity 2

Today I learned about more aspects of religion and focused on ‘unchurched’ spirituality.  I had never heard of the term ‘unchurched’ spirituality so I was interested to gain an understanding of what it meant. This means a type of spirituality that is not related with an organised religion. We also discussed more on how religion and culture are connected, both positively and negatively. I thought it was interesting to find out different aspects of certain religions, for example, the refusal of medical treatments due to the beliefs of a Jehovah Witness. We also discussed more theorists such as Max Weber and Karl Marx. To understand the theorists and their findings, I will have to research more and read up on them as I was struggling to understand what they believed in and how their beliefs impacted on society positively and negatively. I believe this module is expanding my knowledge and giving me a better understanding that there is a larger range of religions and beliefs even though I am struggling to understand certain concepts. I believe that this module will help me when I become a teacher as I can develop my understanding of religion and have an open mind and non-bias views which is important for teachers in a classroom environment.