Expressive Arts and Culture Week 3

During this week’s Expressive Arts and Culture input we were located in the music studio. We continued to explore music relating to our evocative objects and we also had the opportunity to look at how different pieces of music can make us feel.

The task for today’s workshop was to bring two pieces of music along to the input. One piece of music that related to our evocative objects and one that was a contrast and did not have any connection to the object at all. I decided to select the song “Happy” by Pharrell Willliams as the song that related to my evocative object. This song is very upbeat and reminds me of happy times and the great memories I experienced in Uganda. It was also a song we listened to whilst we were there so whenever it is played it reminds me of the time in Uganda which is what my evocative object also does. The contrasting piece of music that I chose was ‘Make you Feel my Love’ by Adele. This piece of music is a lot deeper and makes you think about and understand the lyrics. This song portrays sad emotions and can make you feel sad when listening to it, however, it has no relation to my evocative object.

During the input, I shared the contrasting songs with the class and the reasoning behind why I chose these songs.

Fleming (2012), describes the importance of music being used in classes through looking at different feelings and emotions that is portrayed in different pieces of music. I was able to achieve this in today’s workshop and feel emotions towards songs.

After this, we looked at the impact music has on films. The music played describes how you should feel during that particular scene. We watched a clip of a film twice, once with music and once without. This made me realise how significant the music really is, it had a great impact on my emotions that I felt during the clip.

Before this input I had never thought about this before. In the future, I will be sure to listen to the music that is featured in a film and understand what sort of emotions it brings.

Fleming, M. (2012). The Arts in Education: An introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy.  London: Routledge.