Expressive Arts and Culture Week 2

This week, we continued to explore our evocative objects through music. We were given the task to find a piece of music or create a piece of music using GarageBand that we felt related to our evocative objects.

The song that I felt a strong connection with when thinking of my evocative object was ‘Unforgettable’ by French Montana. I selected this song because its music video was based in Uganda and it makes me think of the experience whenever I hear it. I also love hearing this song as it reminds me the impact that everyone in Uganda had on me and how happy they all were. It’s a very upbeat song that brings out a lot of my emotions based on Uganda just as my evocative object does. The second song that I decided to select was ‘You’ve got a friend in me’ by Randy Newman (Toy Story). This song reminds me a lot of my childhood, the memories that I created with my friends but also, reminds me again of the people that I met in Uganda. . This song relates to my evocative object as it was a new friend that I had met from Uganda that helped me choose the ornament. Meeting new people and gaining a friendship was something special. At times during the trip, when I was struggling I was supported by my close friends who had a great impact on making the trip the amazing, unforgettable experience that it was.

Lyrics from ‘You’ve got a friend in me’ that have great significance:

You’ve got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you’re miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy you’ve got a friend in me
Yeah you’ve got a friend in me

I particularly like these lyrics as I was on the different side of the world from my family and I believe that if I did not have the support and love from my friends around me, I would have not have enjoyed the experience as much as I did. I think it is important that music makes you feel a connection when listening to it as it encourages you to express your feelings more openly. This is something that I would encourage when I am a teacher, for children to choose a piece of music that helps to describe their feelings. Fleming, M. (2012) describes the importance of music in a classroom to look at the different emotions and feelings through different pieces of music.

Fleming, M. (2012). The Arts in Education: An introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy. London: Routledge.