Expressive Arts and Culture Week 4

This weeks input was a music led session allowing us to explore different types of instruments and graphic soundscapes.

To begin, were told that a graphic soundscape was a grid with images that represented a sound or an instrument. The first activity that we took part in as a class was based on the theme of fireworks. We came up with different noises that you would relate to fireworks, for example, bang, laughter, sizzle and countdown. We then went into pairs and came up with a sound effect that would relate to a particular noise. My partner and I were given the sound ‘bang’. After practising our particular noise, we were then able to participate in an example of a soundscape, using the song ‘Firework’ by Katy Perry as the background music.

Videos below is a vlog explaining the activity and also us practising our noise for the class performance.

DE62C2E7-B6C4-4481-8D7B-6082CF34E1BB

Following on from this activity, we worked in smaller groups to create our own graphic scores. My group and I decided to focus on a tropical rainforest. We thought of the different elements in a rainforest, for example, the trees, the rain, animals, people, wind. Using our imagination, we then used different instruments to create our own tropical rainforest graphic soundscape. We used, bells, vocals, slap sticks and coconut shells to create the perfect sounds of a tropical rainforest.

Pictures below are our soundscapes and videos of our group practising.

CBC1E424-DA2A-405A-B015-86561E5AB6CF

This activity and input was extremely enjoyable, it allowed us to work in teams and also to create small musical performances to show to the class. This activity would be beneficial for children as they are able to take part in a musical performance without having to read musical notes, instead, using through the use of visual arts in a soundscape. They would also be doing a lot of practical work and can be creative whilst working with peers. According to Arts Education Partnership (2011), learning through music helps children to develop originality and flexibility which are key aspects that help an individual to be creative. enjoyed this form of learning and would encourage it in my teaching practice in the future. An experience and outcome that could relate to the activities in today’s workshop is, ‘Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities.’ EXA 0-18a / EXA 1-18a / EXA 2-18a

Arts Education Partnership (2011) Music Matters: How Music Education Helps Students Learn, Achieve, and Succeed. Washington, D.C.

Education Scotland (2004) – Curriculum for Excellence; Experiences and Outcomes [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/Experiences%20and%20outcomes [Accessed on 18 February 2019].