Programming – Working with Programmable Toys 15/01/19

This week, we learned about programming. Specifically, working with programmable toys that are used in the classroom to enhance learning. This was an assessment task where our end product was evaluated by our lecturer. We focused on beebots and their importance in the classroom. Beebots are programmed to follow up to 40 instructions, they are able to go forward, backwards, turn right and left, with a ‘pause’ button and a ‘clear’ button; all of which, when pressed, induce a click which can be heard and felt. Beebots are programmed to travel 15cm per instruction, therefore, the mats that beebots travel on are made up of boxes 15cm by 15cm. Many of the beebot mats used in the classroom incorporate different curricular areas such as mathematics with different topics, for example, money or addition and subtraction. In my digital technologies class this week, we were given the task to create our own beebot mat where we can demonstrate the use of beebots.

We were given the option of working individually or in groups of two or three, I decided to work on my own for this task as I felt it would be beneficial to me so that I could express my ideas and make changes easily. I looked through different Curriculum for Excellence (CFE) outcomes with different curricular areas and began making a list of different ideas for my beebot mat, such as, telling a story, spelling, use of money, adding, or French translation and narrowed it down. During my time on placement, I saw the use of these beebot toys being used during a mathematics lesson as well as seen different lessons where beebots would have enhanced a lesson. I decided that I was going to incorporate French at first level (roughly P2-P4) into my mat. My mat covers the outcomes below:

‘I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts.’ – TCH 1-01a

This outcome relates well with my beebot task as the children will be able to explore and experiment with digital technologies such as the beebot programmable toy itself. The children will then we able to use said beebot to enhance their learning in different contexts, such as, another curricular area; for example, French.

‘I can work on my own or with others to demonstrate my understanding of words and phrases containing familiar language.’ – MLAN 1-08b

This outcome relates to my beebot task as during this task they need to work on their own as well as in a group as they need to work individually but take turns to do so within the group. They are also able to demonstrate their prior knowledge of their understanding of different French words and phrases that contain language is familiar to them.

Furthermore, I researched the different topics that are explored in first level French so that I could incorporate key words and phrases from said topics into my mat. These topics included: basic sayings, food, colours, weather, days of the week, family, numbers, etc.

I came to this decision as modern languages are becoming more and more important in the classroom, as explained by Davinia Hardwick, who works for The British council (2015) “Immersing your students in the target language helps them use it more independently and this can lead to increased confidence and better vocabulary.” (Hardwick, 2015)

I decided that I was going to have a mixture of French words and English words laid out on the mat and have those words translated on separate cards which the child would pick from. For example, I would have the word ‘Hello’ on a separate card and the child would have to translate it and then find the translation (Bonjour) on the mat. I made my mat four by four squares with an extra box at the top which was title ‘aller’ which translates to ‘go’.

Robots in the classroom has many benefits within different curricular areas as stated by Lydon (2008, p. 1) “We have found our nursery children have improved their problem solving, thinking, numeracy and literacy skills whilst using robots and whilst having FUN!”. Lydon also goes onto discuss how engaged the children were during this task and how they were able to pick it up easier than she anticipated. Overall, Lydon found that the use of beebots (programmable toys) in the classroom seemed very effective and useful for the children as it incorporated work and fun.

Additionally, Pekárová Janka (2008, p.112) states that “definition of digital technologies as devices which provide interactivity, response or communication.” This relates well with beebots as they are interactive as well as contrive a response and also require communication at certain times. Therefore, this shows the importance of beebots within the classroom as the use of programmable toys can have a positive impact on curricular areas as well as skills such as communication, which in turn can help them in life.

The process of making the mats can be broken down into 5 steps.

1. Plan out the mat and its content.
  2. Measure out the squares 15x15cm with a pencil and include as many as you require on A3 paper (or larger). Personally, I needed 16 squares. And test that the beebot works well with the measurements and adjust accordingly.
  3. Begin decorating the squares as desired and outline with a black felt pen.
  4. Create the corresponding cards.
  5. Explain the game to the children in the classroom and learn whilst having fun!

Additionally, the teacher would explain to the children the rules of the game before playing and ensure they had a sound understanding of how to play and how use the beebot. The rules are laid out below:

1. Shuffle the cards and turn them upside down
  2. Select a card and translate the word on that card
  3. Find the translated word on the beebot mat
  4. Make sure you ‘clear’ the beebot
  5. Programme the beebot using the forward, backward, left and right buttons to where you want the beebot to go on the mat and press ‘go’
  6. Once the beebot arrives where you want it to; say, aloud, the French word and its English correspondent to the other class members in the group (this incorporates outcome MLAN 1-08b)
  7. Press ‘clear’ again

Personally, I feel I have some improvements that I could make. I feel that I could have selected a more interesting title for my game and I could have also divided my time better to ensure that I was able to put my all into each section of this task.

In conclusion, I feel I have carried out this assessment task successfully as when I tested my mat with a beebot it worked well, and I feel that it is fairly easy to grasp an understanding of how to play. I have also gained a sound understanding of the importance of programmable toys and their place in the classroom. Therefore, I am looking forward to the future where I will be able to use programmable toys in the classroom to help enhance learning.

Below are some pictures I captured whilst creating my mat.

Initial idea plan

Progress picture one

Progress Picture two

Finished Product

Corresponding Game Cards

Reference list