Introduction to digital technologies 8/1/19

Pixabay.com

Hello, my name is Jodie Nelson and over the next 12 weeks I am going to be discussing my experience of digital technologies as part of my BA1 primary education course. Personally, I think that this will be useful for me to be able to reflect back on my time and experiences as I learn about digital technologies which I can use in the classroom. As nowadays digital technology is very important as recently stated by the Scottish Government,“Digital technology can enrich the learning experience for all of our children and young people.” (Scottish Government, 2016, p. 8)

Today we were given an introduction to the digital technologies module and gained a good understanding of the different areas we will be covering. This, for me, solidified the reasons I wanted to participate in this module as overall it looks interesting with the wide range of useful topics. Additionally, I am looking forward to the interactive and practical side of the module including: games-based learning, animation and use of e-books as well as programming and coding; as these topics are all becoming important learning tools in school. As the importance of game-based learning was recently highlighted by James (2014), “Computer games are the most powerful learning tool of our age.” (James, 2014)Therefore, I feel that these will be useful topics to use in the classroom in the future.

On the other hand, it appears that it will be a lot of work which will require motivation each week to keep up with the work given. Currently, I have a good understanding of digital technologies. I have a Higher administration and IT qualification as well as a higher media qualification. However, I realise I have a number of areas that could be improved or will learn about all together.

In today’s lesson we set the foundation of what digital technology is and its place in Scotland. As Education Scotland (2016) stated digital technology describes digital applications, services and resources which help find, analyse, create, communicate and use information in a digital context.

Education Scotland (2016) also stated that digital technologies is to be placed at the heart of learning for age 3-18 and beyond. The emphasis that is being placed on digital technologies in the classroom is down to a number of reasons. These include: raising attainment and achievement, focus on ‘closing the attainment gap’, engages learners, develops the young workforce as well as fosters creativity, ambition and interest in life-long learning.

In 2016 the Scottish Government released ‘The National Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy’ (2016).  This discusses the four key objectives of digital technologies in the class. Firstly, develop the skills of our educators. Secondly, improve access to technology. Thirdly, enhance curriculum and assessment delivery, and fourthly, empower leaders of change. Which, when all four are combined, has many benefits. The importance of digital learning and teaching was further developed by the Scottish Government (2016) who stated, It will also provide the stimulus, inspiration and environment for all our learners to develop the increasingly sophisticated digital skills which will be vital to them in later learning, life and work.” (Scottish Government, 2016, p.14)

In conclusion, as I continue in this module, I hope to develop the skills and abilities of my current digital technology knowledge, which was gained through my time at school in classes such as Computing, Administration, and IT and Media in S1 to S6. I am also intrigued to see how much digital technology has changed since this time and how it enhances learning and teaching nowadays. I would like to welcome you to join me in the forthcoming weeks as I experience the digital technologies module.

Reference list

• James, H. (2014). Games in school.[Online] Available: https://www.europeanschoolnetacademy.eu/web/games-in-schools[Accessed: 8th January 2019]
  • Scottish Government (2016) Enhancing learning and teaching through
    the use of digital technology, A digital learning and teaching strategy for Scotland.
    [Online] Available:https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/publication/2016/09/enhancing-learning-teaching-through-use-digital-technology/documents/00505855-pdf/00505855-pdf/govscot:document/?inline=true/ [Accessed: 8 January 2019]