Conclusion to Digital technologies

My digital technologies module is now complete after 12 weeks. During this time, I have learned so much about digital technologies as an umbrella to numerous topics. I have thoroughly enjoyed this module and found it interesting yet challenging at the same time. We studied programming, coding, working with interactive boards (ActivInspire), e-books, iMovie, animation, games-based learning and QR codes. I preferred coding and QR codes.

Throughout the module, each week we were to write our blogs as a form of reflection on the tasks week-on-week, I felt that this was rather hard to keep up with but ensured that I had each blog completed before the next week to help me stay on top of my blogs. However, I felt that I always had plenty to write about and that there was a lot to reflect on. Writing these blogs have been very helpful to me and I feel that they have been very beneficial in my process of reflection.

There have been many pros about this module, such as:

• Each task has been interesting and insightful
  • Allowed me to use my imagination and be creative week-on-week
  • Help develop my skills or gain new ones, for example: teamworking, motivation, patience, etc.
  • Allowed us to use different types of technology such as: beebot robots, tablets, mobile devices etc.
  • Gain an understanding of when and how to use Curriculum for Excellence Experiences and Outcomes, which will be extremely helpful in the future
  • Help us to realise the importance of ICT in the classroom nowadays

On the other hand, there has been a few negatives, such as:

• It was frustrating at times as we were working with technology which can have many problems, i.e. crashing
  • As each week related back to ICT importance in the classroom and how digital technologies are used, I felt that it was a bit repetitive at times

However, the pros definitely outweigh the negatives for me as I highly enjoyed this module and would recommend it to anyone as it is extremely useful and relevant nowadays. It also helps you gain a good understanding of the importance of ICT in the classroom being used independently or in correlation with other curricular areas and how beneficial it is for children nowadays, especially with them being digital natives, as explained by Prensky (2001, p. 1) “Our students today are all ‘native speakers’ of the digital language of computers, video games and the Internet.” This can benefit children in the classroom as it can improve their learning in other curricular areas as well as help them develop their understanding of technology, which is important in this forever-changing technological world. I also gained a good understanding of how these tasks and digital technologies overall helps to enhance the teaching and learning in the classroom.

Mainly I learned, ICT is a useful tool in the classroom. As explained by Beauchamp (2012, p. 54) ICT allows pupils to “achieve something that would be very difficult or even impossible to achieve in any other way.” With ICT being an important tool, which is incorporated into all curricular areas not just being a stand-alone subject. As further explained by Beauchamp (2012, p. 66) “ICT equipment is part of pupils’ everyday life, so should be part of their everyday play.” Overall, with the aim that ICT will help enhance a child’s learning and understanding of different curricular areas.

As my understanding of digital technologies has developed, I feel more confident, as a student teacher, when using digital technologies to enhance lessons. I now look forward to using what I have learned in the future, in the classroom.

Thank you for reading my blog over the last 12 weeks, I hope you enjoyed it!

• Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.
  • Prensky, M. (2001) Digital Natives Digital Immigrant