eBooks 6/2/18

BLOG 5- EBOOKS         06/02/18

Within this session of Digital Technology, we were made aware of the benefits of mobile devices regarding eBooks such as: iPads, mobile phones, Kindles and tablets. E-Books are an “electronic version of a printed book which can be read on a computer or a specifically designed handheld device” (Oxford Dictionary) and a ‘multimodal text.’ These can be accessed and viewed through many modes of digital technology, e-readers and handheld devices such as Kindles and iPads.

The task that went with today’s lesson was to create an eBook of our own consisting of at least 2 or more semiotic systems and summarising a well-known book with teaching aids. I chose the book ‘Journey to the River Sea,’ and I found that this task was rather to the point and easy to complete, albeit it did take some time, and provided a great impact.

In my personal opinion, I believe that the benefits of using eBooks in a classroom are vast and many. Due to their easily accessible quality, light-weight feature and their interactive possibilities, within a teaching and learning environment children will be able to access and explore many and different resources simultaneously to add to their knowledge.

E-Books also have the benefit of being hugely appealing and of great interest to the students; having been born, grown up and living in the 21st century, digital devices and technology has become and is a norm in their daily lives. As well as gaining enjoyment, the children will be able to apply their skills learnt at home with the skills being improved in a classroom and will therefore instantly be making, maybe subconsciously, the connections between real life and school. This is also similar to any and all cross-curricular links that may and can be made in lessons, such as Literacy, Art and Drama.

Additionally, as the world progresses and constantly evolves towards a more technical world and lifestyle, common sense would dictate that teaching and learning should follow. How unfortunate would it be to leave our children with outdated knowledge and teachings of the past without including sound information and skills of the world of today and the future?

It is obvious to me that the many benefits of using eBooks can only add to a good learning experience. According to Beauchamp (2012, p81) “eBooks use many modes of communication which includes visual representation, sound, movement, gesture and language.” They provide a great way of communication with others due to the various tools available. Furthermore, through personalisation it allows pupils to write down their thoughts and feelings in a variety of ways. For example, they can write, record sound and video, draw, and even combine them together. This also depends on their age and ability as appropriate (Beauchamp, 2012, p101).

From the perspective of a teacher it is clear to me how these tools can be used to create an engaging and educational learning environment and branch out to many cross curricular activities. For students struggling with imagining ideas, pronouncing words or reading eBooks could be a saviour in their eyes. As it is quite simple and concise to navigate this also adds to its benefits.

A number of Curriculum for Excellence Experiences and Outcomes (Scottish Executive 2004) related to this can be:

• LIT 1-01a / LIT 2-01a – I regularly select and listen to or watch texts which I enjoy and find interesting, and I can explain why I prefer certain sources. I regularly select subject, purpose, format and resources to create texts of my choice.
  • LIT 1-20a / LIT 2-20a – I enjoy creating texts of my choice and I regularly select subject, purpose, format and resources to suit the needs of my audience.
  • LIT 1-24a – I can present my writing in a way that will make it legible and attractive for my reader, combining words, images and other features.
  • TCH 0-01a – I can explore digital technologies and use what I learn to solve problems and share ideas and thoughts.
  • TCH 1-01a – I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts.
  • TCH 0-11a – I explore and discover different ways of representing ideas in imaginative ways. (Education Scotland, 2016)

References:

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Education Scotland (2016) Curriculum for Excellence: Technologies. Experiences and Outcomes. [Online] Available:  https://education.gov.scot/Documents/Technologies-es-os.pdf  [Accessed: 8th February 2018].

Scottish Executive (2004) Curriculum for Excellence. Edinburgh: Scottish Executive