Movie Making 13/2/18

BLOG 6- Movie-Making           13/02/18

Today during our Digital technology class, we were taught about internet safety and the importance of being aware of how to stay safe online. To start off the day we watched a cartoon video on internet safety in the sea aimed at children. This was followed by Graeme giving us a quiz on the details of what it means to be safe online. Even as an adult I found this very informative and cautioning and mean to keep note of this for any future use.

Our aim today was to create a trailer on the iMovie app which broadcasted the message of online safety. A very inspirational quote from Beauchamp (2012) was that “the key idea [is] that e-safety is not about restricting children, but about educating them.” This is something that resonated with me as, to me, it seemed to define several aspects of teaching itself. This emphasises how important it is that children feel supported, confident and comfortable enough to approach their carers or teachers about any problems or concerns regarding the internet. Today and especially in this generation, the internet plays a prominent role in everyday life and thus in children’s lives, it is therefore significantly vital that they be safe whilst online. The most successful schools will ensure that pupils know what to do when things go wrong (Beauchamp, 2012).

In my opinion digital applications such as iMovie have many benefits not restricted to but including the following:

• Literacy skills
  • Increases imagination
  • Creativity is boosted
  • Communication skills
  • Practical skills

In my group we decided on the theme of ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ and got started on our plan first. As highlighted before, at this point we all had to use communication skills and co-operate with one another. Once individual roles were assigned (camera/video shooter, writer and actors) the drama skills had to come out. With funny and elaborate costumes and repeated videos taken we finished the second part of our task. The third part was where we worked as a team to piece the trailer together. This part took the most time, but it was still rather fun. As a learner I feel that I took away a lot of skills and knowledge from this task and I can just imagine that children would too.

The Curriculum of Excellence experience (CfE) and outcomes for this subject:

• TCH 1-03a – I can extend my knowledge of how to use digital technology to communicate with others and I am aware of ways to keep safe and secure.
  • TCH 2-03a – I can explore online communities demonstrating an understanding of responsible digital behaviour and I’m aware of how to keep myself safe and secure.
  • LIT 0-21a – As I play and learn, I enjoy exploring interesting materials for writing and different ways of recording my experiences and feelings, ideas and information.

References:

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Education Scotland (2004) Curriculum for Excellence: Literacy and English Experiences & Outcomes [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/literacy-english-eo.pdf [Accessed: 13th February 2018]

Education Scotland (2016) Curriculum for Excellence: Technologies Experiences & Outcomes [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/Technologies-es-os.pdf [Accessed: 13th February 2018]