Helen Doyle UWS ITE ePDP

The Environment Learning Log

Learning Log – 23/09/16
Theme: The Environment: Natural and Urban
Key Learning: For me the learning in this weeks class was very practical. It has shown me numerous ways to deliver a lesson on a topic that I previously had very little knowledge of and probably would not have thought to do such activities with a class. It has really opened my eyes and given me more confidence to deliver such a lesson in the future and has made me more open minded with regards to teaching lessons which I do not know a great deal about.
Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice: I feel these classes were valuable and made a positive impact in every sense. Both the class with Andrew and Louise allowed me to see and participate in practical lessons that can be used and adapted for lessons within a school environment which I found this very helpful as it is a topic which I would not have previously viewed as very important. However, upon reflection I now feel is one topic which I feel children may show a great interest in. Louise’s class also made me more aware of things that I do not particularly take much notice in everyday, such as the different types of leaves, plants, insects, birds etc. Also, Andrew’s class helped me very much in terms of practice as it contained various activities that are suitable for indoor and outdoor use, meaning that regardless of weather conditions, this is topic can be taught.
Areas of interest to explore further/develop: I found these classes very interesting and enjoyable. One part of the day that I particularly liked was Andrew’s class where we got to grow our own plant as I think this is something that children would take an interest in and enjoy watching them ground being able to observe them from their own class each day.