Helen Doyle UWS ITE ePDP

Climate Change Learning Log

Learning Log – 07/10/16

Theme: Climate change.

Misconceptions that I had: Prior to the lesson on climate change, I had not known the correct definition for climate. However, I now know that it is the average weather at a given point and time of year and over a period of time. That weather is different from climate and that weather is what we see when we look outside our window. If the climate does not remain constant then it is called climate change.

Knowledge gained that will influence my choices in the future: I feel I learned a lot from this input. It taught me many of the factors which I would not have previously thought contributed very much to climate change. It also gave me ideas as to how I would teach a lesson on climate change in the future. The BP Carbon Footprint and Education Scotland Global Footprint will come in very useful and help me create exciting lessons for my future classes.

Ideas/tips that I have discovered to reduce my footprint: Using the ‘Measure your Footprint’ activity gave me many tips on how to reduce my footprint and provided me with a breakdown of the types of things that I am doing that is contributing to our climate. Things such as buying more seasonal foods, taking up cycling, carpooling or walking to work and recycling and buying second hand things. This could also would be a tool I would use within the classroom to show students ways in which they can reduce their carbon footprint.