Helen Doyle UWS ITE ePDP

Interdependence Learning Log

Theme: Interdependence

Key Learning: Interdependence is the way in which two or more living things depend on each other to grow and remain healthy, this may be economic, social or environmental.
For this theme, we visited Strandhead Farm, the most advanced dairy farm in the whole of Europe. We spent a lot of time asking questions. I learned that the cows are kept inside all of the time and the shed which the live in is kept at an appropriate temperature, creating a suitable condition for the animals. The animals are fed and milked when required and on the trip you could see that the farmer is ensuring that the cows have a humane, happy life and this allows them to produce a good quality milk for humans to consume.
The soil association also visited during the day and I learnt that 95% of our food relies on healthy soils. Soils also store a large amount of carbon (50%) and helps to combat climate change. As well as soil being an important part of food, it also filters the water that we drink. Soil is made up of minerals (45%), water (25%), air (25%) and organic matter (5%) and is formed through time, climate, topography, parent material and living organisms.
Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice: I feel that it is a crucial for children to learn where their food and drink comes from and I will ensure that my future teaching practice addresses this and hopefully will include a trip to the farm. Soil is crucial to the environment as well as humans and I had not previously considered how influential it was in our lives. This could be influential in my practice as I can ensure that I support the environment and educate children on this matter by having soil in and around the school.
Areas of interest to explore further/develop: To further develop my knowledge, I will look through the PowerPoint by the Soil Association, look at the video from the presentation and research some of the groups mentioned.