Session 1: An Introduction

I would happily label myself as a “digital immigrant” (Prensky, M. 2001) someone who although having not had technology and gadgets around me since birth I have embraced them with open arms and understand they are a fundamental part of the modern world and modern classroom.

I originally chose this option under the impression I would be able to rest on my laurels to focus on other areas of my learning. I was sorely mistaken. Gladly, my eyes have been opened as I will be learning new aspects of technology I haven’t previously been exposed to (Scratch Jr Coding for example). This module also dives deep into how digital technologies relate to government policy, which was very much oversight on my end. During our first session together we all grasped that using digital technology in the classroom can help communicate ideas in a different way. What I failed to grasp is that by the Scottish government’s definition “Digital technology is a term used to describe those digital applications, services and resources which are used to:

• find
  • analyse
  • create
  • communicate and
  • use information in a digital context (Education Scotland, 2016)

And using this it will help inform how to plan and execute ideas I hope to use within our sessions.

It is important to look back if you want to look forward (Education Scotland, 2016). I plan to use this journal to think back on what has been discussed and done in a session, reflect on where I succeed but also (and more importantly) where I struggled and how I plan to develop this for the future. Looking back over today’s session I would have taken the time to re-read “Enhancing Learning And Teaching Through The Use Of Digital Technology: A Digital Learning And Teaching Strategy For Scotland” in more depth as it was a talking point that was stilted for me as I couldn’t participate properly.

I was previously aware that one of the main initiatives is ensuring that our current educators gain the confidence and skills required to use digital technology effectively in the classroom. I agree with this as it is the people delivering the learning and not the technology itself that’ll help deliver the aims that are core to the policy of Scottish government which are:

• Raising attainment and achievement
  • Focus on ‘Closing the attainment gap’
  • Fosters creativity, ambition and interest in life-long learning
  • Engages learners
  • Develops the young workforce
    (Education Scotland, 2016)

I see this as a way to futureproof our learners to the ever-evolving nature of not only technology but participation in wider society.

We are at a pivotal moment in technology with rapid developments apace. Hopefully by creating a framework for teaching with technology I can help enable today’s learners in tomorrow’s society.

References:

Prensky, M. (2001) Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. MCB University Press.

Scottish Government (2016) Enhancing Learning And Teaching Through The Use Of Digital Technology: A Digital Learning And Teaching Strategy For Scotland. Scottish Government [Online] Available at: https://www2.gov.scot/Resource/0050/00505855.pdf