Grant’s Reflective Journal 
Digital Technologies

Session 1: An Introduction

I would happily label myself as a “digital immigrant” (Prensky, M. 2001) someone who although having not had technology and gadgets around me since birth I have embraced them with open arms and understand they are a fundamental part of the modern world and modern classroom. I originally chose this option under the impression I would be able to rest on my laurels to focus on other areas of my learning. I was sorely mistaken.… Read more

Session 2: Programmable Toys

The modern classroom should reflect the contemporary world and this can be achieved by teaching programming. More specifically, in the primary education context, we can use programmable toys to familiarise students with the key concept of being able to describe and demonstrate a journey (Janka, 2008). In this session, we were looking at the ideas programmable toys can facilitate to achieve cross-curricular learning. The idea of learning through programming dates back as early as the… Read more

Session 3: Interactivity And Multimodality

To look back over our previous sessions, we can see that technology can make a lesson a lot more accessible but only if the tools being used are implemented effectively by the practitioner (Education Scotland, 2016). That being said we were tasked with creating a learning experience that would incorporate the multimodal capabilities of an interactive whiteboard (IBW). We were to achieve this by using the program “ActivInspire” – a program I was unfamiliar with… Read more

Session 4: Coding

In today’s fast-paced world we must prepare our next generation of learners not only how to use the technology we have today but be ready to create technology for the future. There has been a wide debate about how involved our education system should be in implementing this and one area of computer has been a focus of this debate – coding. Should coding be mandatory learning? Personally I believe so and the English government… Read more

Session 5: eBooks

With our next generation of learners being native to technology (Prensky, M. 2001), we should be using technology to engage and expand the idea of being literate. It has already proven valuable that when children use technology – more specifically iPads – they have positive learning outcomes (Burden et. al., 2012). Children take more ownership of their learning when given the responsibility of a mobile device. As educators our use digital technology should help our… Read more

Session 6: Movie Making

In the age of social media it is becoming easier and easier for children to be unsafe online and it is our duty as a practitioner to counteract this (Beauchamp, 2012). Beauchamp clarifies that we should not be restricting access for children but educating them to know how to be safe and what to do if they do not feel safe. It is becoming more commonplace that film is used to to help – be… Read more

Session 7: Animation Part 1

Being digitally literate goes way beyond reading and understanding words online but understanding that pictures – or in this case animation – are a valid and useful form of understanding the world around us (Education Scotland, 2015). To paraphrase the old phrase that a picture is worth a thousand words, surely many pictures together could tell a continuum of stories. With animation it allows learning to become more tactile – especially if we try to… Read more

Session 8: Animation – The Sequel

With reference to last week we must try and engage learners in as many interactive ways possible (Beauchamp, 2015). Today, we try and do this by utilising animation. Personally, and agreeing with Jarvis (2015), by using animation it creates an interactive element to a lesson. Animation has also shown improvement in literacy skills for boys aged five to eleven (HMIE, 2007). Ultimately – when used appropriately – animation can be an excellent way to communicate… Read more

Session 9: Games-based Learning

As an avid – although self-labelled – gamer there is much debate about whether games based learning enhances or distracts from learning. Gaming – more specifically video gaming which is what this blog will talk about – has become a societal phenomenon with 86% of 5-7 year old children and 90% of 8-11 year old children gaming in some capacity (Ofcom, 2011). One must be careful with the motive of using games – they should… Read more