The aims of this work stream are:
• to reduce the percentage gap from Early to First Level in Numeracy
• to use and enhance the expertise and talent within the Forth Valley and West Lothian Regional Improvement Collaborative to develop collaborative learning approaches which build staff capacity to deliver high quality learning experiences in First Level Numeracy
What do we want to achieve?
The focus of the improvement activity will be on the Numeracy Hub Champions and practitioners to:
• facilitate collaboration, co-creation and delivery of high quality CLPL
• drive innovation and improvement in First Level Numeracy pedagogy
• improve capacity of staff to deliver high quality learning experiences in First Level Numeracy
• support the use of research and data to evidence progress and improvement
How will we take our work forward?
• Each Local Authority will identify up to 3 schools to participate in a pilot project aimed at building staff capacity within First Level Numeracy using an embedded classroom professional learning model.
• Numeracy Hub Champions within each Local Authority will design and deliver high quality CLPL to identified SMT and classroom practitioners.
• Numeracy Hub Champions will facilitate professional dialogue on a monthly basis to increase teacher confidence in using manipulatives to help children and young people gain a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.
• Identified schools will administer pre and post diagnostic assessments as identified by the Numeracy Hub Champions. Data will be analysed and implications for future practice shared across the RIC.
• Establish an inter-authority, teacher driven, professional network in First Level Numeracy.
• Numeracy Hub Champions will establish an electronic platform for staff involved to engage in professional dialogue and share good practice around the intervention.
• Numeracy Hub Champions will facilitate peer visits across the RIC to support teaching staff in developing high quality learning experiences in First Level Numeracy.
• A model of collaborative professionalism will be established which can be used across the RIC.
Click here for blogposts about the Numeracy workstream of the Forth Valley and West Lothian Regional Improvement Collaborative:
Click here to get in touch with Peter Valentine, Numeracy Work Stream Lead, or click here for Lynne McBain, Numeracy Workstream Lead, Forth Valley and West Lothian Improvement Collaborative