eviependerepdp

Week Ten- Integrated Arts

Music

the-voiceWe began music by discussing the importance of looking after our voices, especially as it is crucial to a teacher to be able to communicate vocally. We were given methods to gain the attention of children such as clapping rhythms that the pupils must repeat back. We also were told that when speaking if we suddenly change the volume of our voice by getting quieter, the children can become more engaged in what you are saying. A basic warm up can be a good way to protect the voice and this can be done through singing along to songs on the radio.

Today during our music session, we watched this video: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=beatbox+brilliance&view=detail&mid=87E556C87158BC3E80A387E556C87158BC3E80A3&FORM=VIRE

I had never considered incorporating beat boxing within a music lesson however, I feel this would be beneficial to the children who may not like, or find interest the traditional music lessons that may be provided to them within school. As we watched the video, I noticed that everyone was engaged. I believe children would love to take part in learning about beat boxing and that this could be incorporated within music lessons.

BBC Bitesize provide clips of beatboxing that can be shown to a class. http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/zwhnb9q/resources/1

Art

Within art, we were given pictures with an explanation on the back of what the picture was. We were also a sheet that was the Rod Taylor’s model and had point on it to allow children to discuss art pieces.

10

After looking at the piece of Art that I choose to study, I described to my partner, that I was working with that “in my opinion, the art work is about a sailor lost as sea because the man on the boat looked anxious and was seemed to be gripping onto the wheel. This causes me to feel slightly stressed as this is something that happens and it must be a horrible situation especially- because in the case shown on the picture- the man is on his own.”

This enabled us to consider how we felt, how the artist may have come up and designed the art work, the form of the painting and what it is about. This is particularly important if we want children to deeply consider art work and deduce information on their own. This allows for children to give their own opinion and not fear they will be wrong. Children could focus on a few of these areas to create their artwork. However, it is crucial that teachers are positive about the pupil’s work. Teachers praise in the subject of Expressive Arts can motivate and offer encouragement by focussing on effort rather than on the end product (Daly et al, 2007).

Reference

Daly, E. J., Martens, B.K., Barnett, D., Witt, J.C., & Olson, S.C. (2007) Varying intervention delivery in response to intervention: Confronting and resolving challenges with measurement, instruction, and intensity. School Psychology Review, 36, 562-581.