eviependerepdp

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Interdependence

Interdependence

Key learning

I learned how interdependence relate to sustainability, the importance of soil and many interesting facts e.g. It can take 1000 years to form 1cm of topsoil.

Impact on view

I hadn’t considered the importance of soil and food chains and now have a better appreciation for them.

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Biodiversity

Biodiversity

Key learning

Biodiversity is important as it can result in medical discoveries, can absorb carbon and clean water. Some threats are pollution, habitat loss and climate change.

Impact on view/ lifestyle

I was able to consider ‘growing food’ and the different implications caused from where food has came from. This has allowed me to believe that it is best to buy food that is fair trade or from our country.

I will look into medical discoveries made through biodiversity as this is an area that interests me

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Disasters

Disasters

Key learning

Urban environment: I gained knowledge on my urban environment such as community and recreational spaces, transport and physical characteristics. I was able to explore and analyse these areas.

I began to understand the parts of a plant and could deepen my knowledge through looking at the plants under the microscope.

Impact on views/ lifestyle/ practices

I began to look at places different after considering my urban environment. I have a better appreciation to the importance on walking, cycling or using public transport where possible.

I have the confidence to teach about the environment within schools when I placement through knowledge I have gained from this module.

Areas of interest to further explore:

From all of the natural disasters I learned about I found earthquakes the most interesting. I will now look into them in further detail and explore the causes more.

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Energy

Energy

Key learning

I learned about how we almost depend on fossil fuel for example cooking, heating and plastic. However, there is ways around this. One example is through using hydrogen as a fuel which has a high energy efficiency, can be produced from water and doesn’t have carbon emotions.

Impact or view/lifestyle

I hadn’t considered energy in great detail before but I now feel more passionate and that I could do more to cause less harm to the environment e.g. Recycling more.

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Climate change

Learning log

Theme: climate change

Key learning

I found the lectures and workshops about climate change very interesting.

I found out that the climate is how the weather should be at certain points if the year e.g. During winter we expect the weather to be cold in the UK. However, there is evidence to prove our climate has been changing.

I learned that there is huge impacts from climate change including higher temperatures, higher sea levels dues to the ice caps melting and extreme weather events. All of these will negatively effect not only the people but the wildlife and available for example the polar bears.

Impact on my views/ lifestyle

Through learning about global warming, I now realise that it isn’t just going to make the temperature increase but it is damaging our atmosphere and have severe effects on weather, animals and wildlife. I will now try to be more eco friendly as I feel it is almost selfish as my action can help to cause negative effects such as flooding crops which could be how someone makes money or grow their food.

Areas to explore and further develop:

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Learning log: urban environment

Learning log

Theme: urban environment

Key learning

Throughout this weeks task I have discovered more and analysed the urban environment that I live in.

I had never really considered all of the different transport methods in my environment which have harmful effects. However, there are many bus services and a train station in my urban environment which many people choose to use instead of traveling my car which helps to reduce the harmful gasses.

I was also able to find out about harmful gasses in my local environment and that building such as factories give off these gasses which will have negative effects on us.

Impact on my views/lifestyle and practice

Through taking time to understand my urban environment, I now will consider if could take an alternative transport method rather than driving or share lifts with people close by.

I had never really considered the harmful gasses given off from buildings. Now I feel passionate that we should be taking a lot more care as this not only effects our community but the world as a whole.

Areas of interest to explore/ further develop:

I found it interesting learning about pollution in my local area. I will now further develop my knowledge by finding out about pollution levels in Glasgow and I can then compare then to other cities across the world.

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Climate Change

Climate change

The climate change (Scotland) Act 2009 has an impact on my lifestyle and choices to a certain extent. With the charge of carrier bags I have become more eco friendly. I now try to always bring my own carrier bags when I am shopping which prevents me from buying them in shops which in turns helps our society by reducing the carbon footprint.

With target to reduce carbon monoxide I now try to share lifts with people who live close to home when we are traveling to the same place. This means less fuel will be used which will help to prevent the environment from harmful gasses.

With the targets of reduction of packaging, product I have bought are more Eco friendly meaning more can be recycled and there is now less waste.

With the climate change (Scotland) act 2009, the environment is now more Eco friendly.

December 6, 2016
by User deactivated
0 comments

Urban Environment

Urban environment

Transport

In my urban environment there is many different popular methods of transport. There is a train station, busses, cars, cyclists and many people choose to walk. The most popular method of transport is cars as the majority of houses have at least one however, many people choose to use public transport to get to their work. This is a benefit to the environment as it helps to prevent the amount of harmful fuel affect the atmosphere.

Community space

In my environment there are three schools. One of them is a new build as there was four schools but two of them have been combined into one. This is good for the environment as it cuts down the amount of electricity being used and it cuts down the cost on materials allowing the money to be spent on other areas of the community. There is also a library which anyone can use but it is particularly targeted toward children from pre school to primary school age which helps to aid in their crucially important development. There are also parks and scenic walkways which encourages people to be outside and exercise.

Recreational spaces

In my urban environment there is a sport centre. It offers gymnastics, swimming, dance, multi sports, football, a gym and fitness classes. The sport centre is used my people of all ages but usually retired adults and young children during the day and working people and teenagers later on and the class times are made to suit this.

Industry and work

In my urban environment there is a lot of agricultural work as there is many farms. The farms no longer have animals in them but are used to grow and sell crops. There is retail services such as supermarkets and clothing shops which are heavily used by the people who live in the local area. My urban environment has services such as health centres, a police station and a prison which helps to keep us healthy and safe.

Physical characteristics

There are a few different types of building in my environment. These many include churches, flats and houses. The road organisation is a mix of minor and major roads and motorway access. There is quite a lot of green spaces for example walkways along the canal and pathways around the ‘moss’.

Population density

My local area had a population of roughly 105,000 people in 2011. However this is a decrease on the number of people that there was ten years previous to that which was roughly 108,000. This could possibly have been due to the financial crisis.

Air quality

The air quality level for pollution level in my urban environment is low (1) according to Scottish Air Quality.